On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 05:22:37PM +0100, Mark Jonas wrote: > From: Hubert Streidl > > By default the PMIC DA9063 2-wire interface is SMBus compliant. This > means the PMIC will automatically reset the interface when the clock > signal ceases for more than the SMBus timeout of 35 ms. > > If the I2C driver / device is not capable of creating atomic I2C > transactions, a context change can cause a ceasing of the clock signal. > This can happen if for example a real-time thread is scheduled. Then > the DA9063 in SMBus mode will reset the 2-wire interface. Subsequently > a write message could end up in the wrong register. This could cause > unpredictable system behavior. > > The DA9063 PMIC also supports an I2C compliant mode for the 2-wire > interface. This mode does not reset the interface when the clock > signal ceases. Thus the problem depicted above does not occur. > > This patch tests for the bus functionality "I2C_FUNC_I2C". It can > reasonably be assumed that the bus cannot obey SMBus timings if > this functionality is set. SMBus commands most probably are emulated > in this case which is prone to the latency issue described above. > > This patch enables the I2C bus mode if I2C_FUNC_I2C is set or > otherwise keeps the default SMBus mode. > > Signed-off-by: Hubert Streidl > Signed-off-by: Mark Jonas Reviewed-by: Wolfram Sang