On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 01:04:51PM +0000, Limonciello, Mario wrote: > > On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 08:27:27AM -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote: > > > This isn't useful to a user, especially as probing will run again. > > > Use the dev_err_probe helper to hide the deferrerd probing messages. > > The reason we have these error messages is that they are very useful to > > users if they ever find that the device isn't instantiating due to some > > missing dependency or something that leaves it stuck in probe deferral, > > they give some hint as to what might be wrong. > Right, but they should be at debugging level, if someone has a problem they > turn on dynamic debugging for the module and then can see these messages. Your commit message says that reporting the error isn't useful, I am flagging that it is useful to have the messages be available to people.