Hi Daniel, On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 02:05:01PM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote: > On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 03:45:19PM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote: > > Interactions between bridges, panels, MIPI-DSI host and the component > > framework are not trivial and can lead to probing issues when > > implementing a display driver. Let's document the various cases we need > > too consider, and the solution to support all the cases. > > > > Signed-off-by: Maxime Ripard > > I still have this dream that eventually we resurrect a patch to add > device_link to bridges/panels (ideally automatically), to help with some > of the suspend/resume issues around here. > > Will this make things worse? > > I think it'd be really good to figure that out with some coding, since if > we have incompatible solution to handle probe issues vs suspend/resume > issues, we're screwed. > > Atm the duct-tape is to carefully move things around between suspend and > suspend_early hooks (and resume and resume_late) and hope it all works ... My initial idea to fix this was indeed to use device links. I gave up after a while since it doesn't look like there's a way to add a device link before either the bridge or encoder probes. Indeed the OF-Graph representation is device-specific, so it can't be generic, and if you need to probe to add that link, well, it's already too late for the probe ordering :) Maxime