"Kendrick M. Smith" wrote: > I have the patch from your original post and will give it a try with > 2.5. In that post, you also mentioned having some sort of testsuite > which would place the semaphore under heavy contention, while also > testing basic semantics of the semaphore. If you send this along, I > will give it a try as well... The testsuite patch is attached. Apply it after the rwsem trylock patch. What it does is start ten kernel threads that randomly call down_read, down_write, down_read_trylock, and down_write_trylock. Reboot with the test kernel and let it run for awhile. It should give your hard drive a good workout as the debug output is written to the log. After a few thousand locking operations, reboot with an ordinary kernel and study the log. If you have questions about the debug output, let me know. -- Brian Watson | "Now I don't know, but I been told it's Linux Kernel Developer | hard to run with the weight of gold, Open SSI Clustering Project | Other hand I heard it said, it's Compaq Computer Corp | just as hard with the weight of lead." Los Angeles, CA | -Robert Hunter, 1970 mailto:Brian.J.Watson@compaq.com http://opensource.compaq.com/