On Thu, Oct 25 2018, Rainer Fiebig wrote: > Am Montag, 22. Oktober 2018, 08:20:11 schrieb NeilBrown: >> On Sat, Oct 20 2018, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote: >> > Hi all, >> > >> > As everyone knows by now, we added a new Code of Conduct to the kernel >> > tree a few weeks ago. >> >> I wanted to stay detached from all this, but as remaining (publicly) >> silent might be seen (publicly) as acquiescing, I hereby declare that: >> I reject, as illegitimate, this Code and the process by >> which it is being "developed". >> >> It is clear from the surrounding discussions that this is well outside our >> core competencies. It will be flawed, it isn't what we need. >> >> I call on any other community members who reject this process to say so, >> not to remain silent. >> #Iobject >> >> We don't need a "Code of Conduct" nearly as much as we need "Leadership >> in conduct". Without the leadership, any code looks like a joke. >> > [...] > >> I call on you, Greg: >> - to abandon this divisive attempt to impose a "Code of Conduct" >> - to revert 8a104f8b5867c68 > > Yes but this seems increasingly unlikely now. However, there may be an > alternative. > > Jugding by the release-message for 4.19, some people here are fans of > Monty Python's. No wonder - as those guys are famous for being unrelenting > supporters of Political Correctness. > > So one would be on the safe side if one just supplemented "Our Pledge" > with this: > > "Everybody has the right to be offended." > > I think, John Cleese would also welcome this.[1] > > What do you think? I do think that giving certain rights to the community is a good thing: - the right to tell anyone that their speech is hurtful - the right to (patch) review by a third party. I don't think the right to be offended really needs to be given. Yes, I know it is a joke and I do like Monty Python. I just don't think it is particular helpful in this context. Maybe I missed something. For myself, I relinquish my right to be offended. I just don't do it. It doesn't seem to be worth the effort. Thanks, NeilBrown > > Regards! > > > Rainer Fiebig > > > > [1] https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3427218/Political-correctness-killing-comedy-says-John-Cleese-Monty-Python-star-believes-fear-offending-certain-groups-lead-1984-style-society-free-expression-not-allowed.html > > > -- > The truth always turns out to be simpler than you thought. > Richard Feynman