It appears that ext3 and ext4 fdatasync() does not fully sync data to disk. Specifically, when new data is written at the end (so that the file length is increased), not all of the new data is synced by fdatasync(). It looks as if the problem is when the new data fits in the last allocated page for the file - then ext3/4 flushes the new data page to disk, but _not_ the new metadata with the longer file size. This seems in violation of how fdatasync() is supposed to perform, ie. from the Linux man page: fdatasync() ... does not flush modified metadata unless that metadata is needed in order to allow a subsequent data retrieval to be correctly handled ... For example, changes to st_atime or st_mtime ... do not require flushing ... On the other hand, a change to the file size (st_size, as made by say ftruncate(2)), would require a metadata flush. It also causes real problems - it was found because it causes silent data corruption on ext3/ext4 of MySQL/MariaDB in case of a crash. XFS appears not to be affected. To reproduce, I run code like this (full test program attached) with disk cache disabled, and pull the power plug: for (seq = 0; seq < COUNT; ++seq) { snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "%7d\n", seq); write(append_fd, buf, RECSIZE); fdatasync(append_fd); memcpy(buf2 + (seq * RECSIZE) % BLOCKSIZE, buf, RECSIZE); pwrite(inplace_fd, buf2, BLOCKSIZE, 0); fdatasync(inplace_fd); } The append_fd is a new file that is appended to in each write; the inplace_fd is a pre-allocated file that does not change size. After a crash the two files should always be in sync (or append_fd can be one record ahead). But on ext3 and ext4, append_fd typically lacks several records. This does not happen on XFS, or if fdatasync(append_fd) is replaced with fsync(append_fd). I also tested this in kvm, and used strace on the host process to see exactly which writes the guest does. Each fdatasync(append_fd) causes a flush to disk of the data page of append_fd, but not of the inode (or journal) page. So even if fdatasync() is by design not suitable for appending data to a file, there still seems to be a bug, though then a performance rather than a correctness bug: there is no reason to flush the new data block if the increased file length is not flushed also. I tested the following kernels, all show the problem: Linux vm-lucid-amd64 2.6.32-39-server #86-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 13 23:15:11 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux Linux thor 2.6.32-42-generic #95-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 25 15:57:54 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux Linux archie 3.6.0-rc2-DEB #175 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 17 05:00:46 IST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux Googling turned up this patch, which may be relevant (but I am not sufficiently familiar with the ext3/ext4 code to really know): http://osdir.com/ml/file-systems.ext4/2008-02/msg00128.html To run the test program, just `gcc ext4bug-minimal.c && ./a.out`. After crash, the last record in each file can be compared with eg. tail -1 append.log perl -lne '$x = $_ if $_ > $x; END {print $x}' inplace.log Please let me know if there is any additional information that I can supply to help. (BTW, the problem is fixed/worked-around in MariaDB by using fsync() instead of fdatasync() when a file is extended.) - Kristian.