On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:18 AM, Sven Joachim wrote: > > It seems that at least some 32-bit programs are also broken, since after > upgrading the kernel to 3.14.3 I can no longer start my old chess > database program: So for backporting (and for 3.15) maybe this (TOTALLY UNTESTED) patch would be acceptable. It adds a "/proc/sys/abi/ldt16" sysctl that defaults to zero (off). If you hit this issue and care about your old Windows program more than you care about a kernel stack address information leak, you can do echo 1 > /proc/sys/abi/ldt16 as root (add it to your startup scripts), and you should be ok. Afaik, 16-bit programs under wine already need echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr because they want to map things at address 0, so this isn't a new concept. I would like to repeat that this is totally untested. And the sysct table is only added if you have COMPAT support enabled on x86-64, but I assume anybody who runs old windows binaries very much does that ;) Linus