On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 11:05 PM Masahiro Yamada wrote: > > As for the cc1plus cost, I got a similar result. > > Running scripts/gcc-plugin.sh directly > took me 0.5 sec, which is a fourth > of the allmodconfig run-time. > > Actually, I did not know this shell script > was so expensive to run... So it turns out that one reason it's so expensive to run is that it does a *lot* more than it claims to do. It says "we need a c++ compiler that supports the designated initializer GNU extension", but then it actually includes a header file from hell, rather than just test designated initializers. This patch makes the cc1plus overhead go down a lot. That said, I'm doubtful we really want gcc plugins at all, considering that the only real users have all apparently migrated to clang builtin functionality instead. Linus