On Thu, Dec 03, 2020 at 09:41:42AM +0100, Uwe Kleine-König wrote: > Currently .get_state() and .apply() use dev_get_drvdata() on the struct > device related to the pwm chip. This only works after .probe() called > platform_set_drvdata() which in this driver happens only after > pwmchip_add() and so comes possibly too late. > > Instead of setting the driver data earlier use the traditional > container_of approach as this way the driver data is conceptually and > computational nearer. > > Fixes: 9db33d221efc ("pwm: Add support for sl28cpld PWM controller") > Tested-by: Michael Walle > Signed-off-by: Uwe Kleine-König > --- > Hello Linus, > > Thierry (who usually sends PWM patches to you) didn't react to this > patch sent to the pwm Mailinglist last week > (https://lore.kernel.org/r/20201124212432.3117322-1-u.kleine-koenig@pengutronix.de) > yet. > > Given v5.10 isn't far away any more and I don't know when Thierry will > take a look and act, I'm sending this directly to you. The affected > driver was new in 5.10-rc1 and at least once the unpatched driver > created an oops: > > https://lavalab.kontron.com/scheduler/job/108#L950 > > Michael Walle who tested this patch is the original author of the > driver. IMHO it would be good to have this fixed before 5.10. > > If you prefer a pull request, I can setup something (but I don't have > access to Thierry's tree, so it will be for a repository that's new to > you). > > Best regards > Uwe > > drivers/pwm/pwm-sl28cpld.c | 6 ++++-- > 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-) I thought I had seen you discuss this with Lee and gotten the impression that you were going to respin this to move the platform_set_drvdata() to an earlier point, which I think is the more correct approach. container_of() isn't exactly wrong, but it's really just papering over the fact that platform_set_drvdata() is in the wrong place, so I'd prefer a patch that does that instead. Now, I can no longer find a link to the discussion that I recall, so it was either on IRC (where I don't have any logs) or I'm loosing my mind. I'll prepare a patch that moves platform_set_drvdata() for Michael to test. If that works I'll send a PR with fixes to Linus early next week. Thierry