On Fri, 8 Nov 2019, Andy Lutomirski wrote: > > On Nov 8, 2019, at 3:45 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote: > > On Fri, 8 Nov 2019, Andy Lutomirski wrote: > >> SDM vol 3 27.5.2 says the BUILD_BUG_ON is right. Or am I > >> misunderstanding you? > >> > >> I'm reasonably confident that the TSS limit is indeed 0x67 after VM > >> exit, and I wrote the existing code that tries to optimize this to avoid > >> LTR when not needed. > > > > The BUILD_BUG_ON(IO_BITMAP_OFFSET - 1 == 0x67) in the VMX code is bogus in > > two aspects: > > > > 1) This wants to be in generic x86 code > > I think disagree. The only thing special about 0x67 is that VMX hard > codes it. It’s specifically a VMX-ism. So I think the VMX code should > indeed assert that 0x67 is a safe value. Yes, it is a VMX specific issue, but I really prefer the build to fail in the common code without having to enable VMX if something changes the TSS layout in incompatible ways. Thanks, tglx