On Sun, 2013-07-21 at 18:52 +0300, Vladimir Kondratiev wrote: > On Sunday, July 21, 2013 09:35:40 AM Thomas Fjellstrom wrote: > > If it helps, I'm running a fresh install of Debian Sid with gcc 4.8.1. I've > > noticed that each newer successive version of gcc gets more strict with what > > code it accepts without warning, or error. A lot of my only somewhat old code > > tends to have a lot more warnings. Especially that signedness warning. > > Yes, this is the case; I have 4.7.3 > > > > > It also looked like that that driver or section of the kernel was compiling > > with -Werror. I haven't verrified that but I remember seeing "treating all > > warnings as errors" at one point. > > > You are right, I have this in Makefile: > (if one turn on extra warnings with -W, there will be lots of false alarms, > that's why this ifeq()) > > ifeq (, $(findstring -W,$(EXTRA_CFLAGS))) > subdir-ccflags-y += -Werror > endif This is a pretty weird thing to do, and you've failed to account for -Wextra. -Werror is generally a bad default in free software, as you have no control over which compiler version will be used. Ben. -- Ben Hutchings Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.