On Sat, 2019-05-04 at 07:35 -0400, Jakub Kicinski wrote: > On Fri, 3 May 2019 16:09:39 -0700, Jeff Kirsher wrote: > > From: Alice Michael > > > > This patch introduces "recovery mode" to the i40e driver. It is > > part of a new Any2Any idea of upgrading the firmware. In this > > approach, it is required for the driver to have support for > > "transition firmware", that is used for migrating from structured > > to flat firmware image. In this new, very basic mode, i40e driver > > must be able to handle particular IOCTL calls from the NVM Update > > Tool and run a small set of AQ commands. > > What's the "particular IOCTL" you speak of? This patch adds a fake > netdev with a .set_eeprom callback. Are you wrapping the AQ commands > in the set_eeprom now? Or is there some other IOCTL here? > > Let me repeat my other question - can the netdev you spawn in > i40e_init_recovery_mode() pass traffic? > > > These additional AQ commands are part of the interface used by > > the NVMUpdate tool. The NVMUpdate tool contains all of the > > necessary logic to reference these new AQ commands. The end user > > experience remains the same, they are using the NVMUpdate tool to > > update the NVM contents. > > IOW to update FW users still need your special tool, but they can use > ethtool -f to.. change the app-specific (DPDK) parser profiles? Joy :) > > > Signed-off-by: Alice Michael > > Signed-off-by: Piotr Marczak > > Tested-by: Don Buchholz > > Signed-off-by: Jeff Kirsher I will see if I can get either the author or one of our tools developers respond to your questions while I am on vacation (all next week). If not, I will respond in a week. Sorry in advance, if you have to wait for a week for a response.