A long time ago I made a proposal to unify the YAML template parsing code. See: https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/37461/4/designs/ipmi-static-configs-refactor.md#24 Many repos have copy/pasted and slightly modified the parsing, I think they could be unified again. But I have been busy lately On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 5:27 AM Brad Bishop wrote: > Hi George > > On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 03:24:09PM +0800, George Liu wrote: > > >The current default configuration has the realization of `OCC` > Hm. That probably shouldn't be in the default configuration. > > >1. Today the architecture of openBmc is gradually discarding YAML > >files right (because I think it requires templates and py paarsing to > >support). > > And because this technique has proven to make it difficult to support > multiple configurations or combinations of hardware in a single image. > For example, supporting two different revisions of the same board with > minor differences. > > >2. I think we can migrate the functions of this repo to the > >corresponding repo > > Sounds fine on the surface. Personally, I would like to see any and all > configuration moved to entity manager, so it is all in the same place. > Some system integrators are not software developers and do not want to > hunt for configuration spread across different repositories or bitbake > metadata layers. But the community is split on this - there is a > concern with making every application have a dependency on > entity-manager, which is an understandable concern. > > >I suspect that the original design idea was to aggregate all D-Bus > >monitoring into this repo > > Sort of. The intent of the code was to provide a way to implement a > wide variety of highly specific policy. For example: shut down the > system when more than 4 processor cores are hotter than 100 degrees C if > the chassis is water cooled. Policy that has broad applicability would > be implemented closer to the application - so it wasn't really meant to > aggregate _all_ policy in the system. Just the really esoteric stuff. > In hindsight, I think it is too abstract and enables too much > logic implemented with data. > > >4. At present, most repos use D-Bus to monitor certain attributes, > >objectPaths, etc, but they have not done YAML file adaptation in this > >repo, but implemented in their respective repos (eg: PLDM, > >phosphor-led-manager). > > For the led applications, again, I would like to see those get their > configuration from entity-manager. I don't think PLDM should have any > configuration files at all. > > >So, my thoughts is: If we transplant `OCC` & `snmp` and other > >functions to their respective repos one day in the future, can this > >repo be discarded? > > Sure - my long term goal for IBM systems anyway is to not be using this > application. If noone else in the OpenBMC community is using it - sure > we could discard it entirely. > > -brad >