qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
From: anthony smith <backtogeek@gmail.com>
To: qemu-devel@nongnu.org
Subject: Disk cache defaults
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 07:14:59 +0100	[thread overview]

Having spent a while searching for answers on this I am making a last-ditch
effort by contacting the devel group.

Could someone let me know if it is possible to change the default disk
cache setting in qemu globally?

Currently it is set to writeback, in many if not most use cases "none" is
optimal.

I am aware I can change it per instance however I really need to find a
global method so that unless specified otherwise the default becomes
cache=none

It does seem a little strange that options appear to exist:

qemu-img -h | grep writeback
    options are: 'none', 'writeback' (default, except for convert),
'writethrough',

However I can't find any documentation that hints at a method of changing
the default, rather all documentation provides is a method per use/instance.

Appreciate any assistance even if the answer is just "Not possible" so I
can at least drop this search for answers.