On 05.09.19 15:05, Kevin Wolf wrote: > Am 09.08.2019 um 18:13 hat Max Reitz geschrieben: >> In order to make filters work in backing chains, the associated >> functions must be able to deal with them and freeze all filter links, be >> they COW or R/W filter links. >> >> In the process, rename these functions to reflect that they now act on >> generalized chains of filter nodes instead of backing chains alone. > > I don't think this is a good idea. The functions are still following the > backing chain. A generic "chain" could mean following the bs->file links > or any other children, so the new name is confusing because it doesn't > really tell you any more what the function does. I'd prefer the name to > stay specific. They’re following backing chains, among others. It would make sense to rename s/backing_chain/filter_chain/, that is, in case you don‘t find lumping COW and R/W filters together under “filter” too offensive. (Naming things is hard. I’m open for suggestions, but I found the “filter” concept succinct, even if it does not fully align with our existing parlance.) Max >> While at it, add some comments that note which functions require their >> caller to ensure that a given child link is not frozen, and how the >> callers do so. >> >> Signed-off-by: Max Reitz > > Kevin >