rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl>
To: Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor@gmail.com>,
	FUJITA Tomonori <tomo@exabit.dev>,
	rust-for-linux@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Rust e1000 driver (Intel Ethernet adapter)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:31:21 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 09:59:02PM -0400, Alex Gaynor wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 9:57 PM FUJITA Tomonori <tomo@exabit.dev> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've implemented Rust e1000 driver (Intel Ethernet adapter):
> >
> > https://github.com/fujita/rust-e1000
> >
> > There are many places to use the C bindings directly for now. I try to
> > clean up and push abstractions for NIC drivers (DMA, PCI, network,
> > etc).
> >
> > I can ping on QEMU. Needs a bit more work for real hardware.
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> That's great to see. Thanks for your work on this and looking forward
> to seeing the pull requests!

Where to look for such merge request?

Long version of my question:

I can't tell how many hurdles there will be
nor how large (time consuming) the hurdles will be
for:

  * git clone a modified version of a modified version of Linux kernel
  * git clone the  rust-e1000 at the right place
  * build "rust for linux"
  * start qemu with correct parameters
  * find out that existing e1000 driver is NOT in the way
  * see it working myself

Myself and probably others nearby the swimming pool
not knowning how nice the swimming water is.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse