workflows.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
To: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: workflows@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: RFC: individual public-inbox/git activity feeds
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 02:48:28 +0000	[thread overview]

Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> wrote:
> Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
> <snip a bunch of stuff I agree with>
>
> > # Individual developer feeds
>
> <snip>
>
> > (With time, we can teach kernel.org to act as an MTA bridge that sends
> > actual mail to the mailing lists after we receive individual feed updates.)
>
> I'm skeptical and pessimistic about that bit happening (as I
> usually am :>).  But the great thing is all that stuff can
> happen without disrupting/changing existing workflows and is
> totally optional.

Well, maybe less skeptical and pessimistic today...

Readers can look for messages intended for them on a DHT or some
other peer-to-peer system.  Or maybe various search engines can
spring into existence or existing ones can be optimized for this.

Readers can opt into this by using invalid/mangled addresses
(e.g "user@i-pull-my-email.invalid"); and rely on that to find
messages intended for them.

Senders sending to them will get a bounce, see the address; and
hopefully assume the reader will see it eventually if any
publically-archived address is also in the recipients list.

Or an an alternate header (e.g. "Intended-To", "Intended-Cc")
can also be used to avoid bounces (but MUAs would lose those on
"Reply-All"), so maybe putting those pseudo-headers in the
message body can work.

This will NOT solve the spam/flooding/malicious content problem.

However, the receiving end can still use SpamAssassin, rspamd,
or whatever pipe-friendly mail filters they want because it
still looks like mail.