workflows.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
To: Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@intel.com>
Cc: Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com>,
	"Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu>,
	Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>, Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>,
	workflows@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: patch attachments still unwelcome?
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 11:46:30 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Jani,

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 6:40 PM Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 3:52 PM Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@intel.com> wrote:
> > Typically you'd have a multipart/mixed MIME message with several parts
> > of various Content-Types. In this case presumably text/plain, but
> > text/x-diff is not out of the question for patches. Also seen a lot of
> > application/octet-stream for logs.
> >
> > You can give a *hint* to the recipient MUA on how to interpret each part
> > by setting Content-Disposition: attachment or inline. Bottom line,
> > whether you can control that in your MUA, and whether the recipient MUA
> > actually respects that is anyone's guess.
> >
> > For fun, this multipart message contains three parts, the one you're
> > reading, and two additional parts, one of which should be inline and the
> > other one an attachment.
>
> So the Gmail web interface shows both as attachments, but can show
> the contents when I click on them.
> The Gmail Android app shows both as attachments, and forces me to
> download the attachments to read them, using a selected app.

Just for fun, I tried alpine, which I still use from time to time.

Alpine shows the first one "sort of" inline, at the bottom:

| --
| Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center
|

|     [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]
|
| This is supposed to be inline.
|

|     [ Part 3, Text/PLAIN 2 lines. ]
|     [ Not Shown. Use the "V" command to view or save this part. ]

But when replying, the "inline" one is not quoted, so I can't provide
review comments.

> Ergo, no attachments is the safest.

Unless your patches are perfect, and will receive no comments but
RoB or AB tags ;-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds