On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 07:00:43PM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote: > On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 05:29:34PM +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote: > > On 12/10/2019 15:36, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote: > > > SetVirtualAddressMap() can be called only once, > > > > True. > > > > > hence it's incompatible with kexec. > > > > Most certainly not. > > > > Linux unconditionally enters virtual mode, citing a huge slew of EFI > > firmware bugs, and is perfectly capable of kexec-ing on the resulting > > systems. > > > > This is how Xen should behave as well, and I suspect it will have a > > marked improvement on our ability to actually boot on EFI systems. > > > > > > Now - it may be true that Xen is missing some piece of plumbing to allow > > kexec in virtual mode to work, and that is a fine reason to leave a note > > in the text of an EXPERT option noting what what is/isn't expected to > > work (and what may or may not have been tested). > > > > > For this reason, make it an optional feature, depending on > > > !KEXEC. > > > > This presupposes (at Xen's build time) that a kexec'd kernel is going to > > want/need to use runtime services.  I'm not convinced this is > > universally true, > > In fact, as it turned out in the discussion, right now it definitely > can't, as it doesn't get runtime services table (or efi system table or > any other info required for this). So, it looks like it should read "it > might be incompatible with some future Xen implementation of kexec". Specifically, dependency on !KEXEC isn't needed right now. -- Best Regards, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki Invisible Things Lab A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?