On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, Julien Grall wrote: > Hi, > > On 20/05/2019 23:38, Julien Grall wrote: > > On 20/05/2019 22:26, Stefano Stabellini wrote: > > > On Sat, 11 May 2019, Julien Grall wrote: > > > This is not about privilege over the system: whoever will make the > > > decision to ask the hypervisor to map the page will have all the > > > necessary rights to do it.  If the user wants to map a given region, > > > either because she knows what she is doing, because she is > > > experimenting, or for whatever reason, I think she should be allowed. In > > > fact, she can always do it by reverting the patch. So why make it > > > inconvenient for her? > > TBH, I am getting very frustrated on reviewing this series. We spent our > > previous f2f meetings discussing reserved-memory in lengthy way. We also > > agreed on a plan (see below), but now we are back on square one again... > > > > Yes, a user will need to revert the patch. But then as you said the user > > would know what he/she is doing. So reverting a patch is not going to be a > > complication. > > > > However, I already pointed out multiple time that giving permission is not > > going to be enough. So I still don't see the value of having that in Xen > > without an easy way to use it. > > > > For reminder, you agreed on the following splitting the series in 3 parts: > >    - Part 1: Extend iomem to support cacheability > >    - Part 2: Partially support reserved-memory for Dom0 and don't give > > iomem permission on them > >    - Part 3: reserved-memory for guest > > > > I agreed to merge part 1 and 2. Part 3 will be a start for a discussion how > > this should be supported for guest. I also pointed out that Xilinx can carry > > part 3 in their tree if they feel like too. > > I just wanted to bump this as I haven't got any feedback on the way forward > here. > It should be possible get part 1 and 2 merged for Xen 4.13. I am about to send an update with Part 2 only. I tried to address all comments, the only one I didn't address (splitting a function into two), I mentioned it explicitely. Apologies if I missed anything, it wasn't intentional.