From: Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>
To: <xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org>, <pdurrant@amazon.com>
Cc: roger.pau@citrix.com, luwei.kang@intel.com,
	marmarek@invisiblethingslab.com, dwmw@amazon.com
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Xen 4.14 Development Update
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 18:03:37 +0000	[thread overview]

On 29/01/2020 12:36, Paul Durrant wrote:
> = Projects =
>
> == Hypervisor ==
>
> === x86 ===
>
> *  Intel Processor Trace virtualization enabling (v1)
>   -  Luwei Kang

Hasn't seen any activity in several releases.  Probably safe to drop.
Also at least somewhat entangled with CPUID/MSR support.

> *  Fixes to #DB injection
>   -  Andrew Cooper

Parts of this manifested unexpected as XSA-308.  Rest is still work in
progress, with a TODO of how not to break introspection while fixing
it.  Unlikely to see any movement in the short term.

> *  CPUID/MSR Xen/toolstack improvements
>   -  Andrew Cooper

Very much in progress.

https://lore.kernel.org/xen-devel/20200127143444.25538-1-andrew.cooper3@citrix.com/
is v2 of the "move data into the migration stream" aspect.

I'm working on "rework boot time CPUID handling" right now, which will
ultimately allow MSRs to be included in what gets configured.

All of this forms a base for "Virtualise MSR_ARCH_CAPS for guests" which
is (now) the logical goal of the work, and might be a better tracking name.

In reality, for now I mean only the various *_NO bits because ...

> *  eIBRS
>   -  Andrew Cooper

... it is unfortunately quite tangled on top.  Because of the overloaded
nature of IBRS, even having Xen try to use eIBRS while only supporting
the legacy IBRS interface for guests turns into a massive headache.

I'm fairly confident that eIBRS support shouldn't be attempted until
general MSR_ARCH_CAPS is in place.

> *  Improvements to domain_crash()
>   -  Andrew Cooper

This is a fairly small piece of work, but I don't have time to progress
it.  I've got a rebased branch if anyone else feels like spending the
day or so it will take to get up to quality.

Another task is AMD hardware mitigations for everything
SpeculativeStoreBypass (i.e. pre-L1TF) and later.  There are crippling
performance problems caused by the lack of MSR_VIRT_SPEC_CTRL.  Since
that series I posted for that, Rome has gained several other hardware
features which need exposing to guests suitably.

~Andrew