From: Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo <cascardo@holoscopio.com>
To: Zhang Rui <rui.zhang@intel.com>
Cc: "linux-input@vger.kernel.org" <linux-input@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-acpi@vger.kernel.org" <linux-acpi@vger.kernel.org>,
	platform-driver-x86@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Input event for blocking touchpad
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 23:56:40 -0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 09:34:13AM +0800, Zhang Rui wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 05:10 +0800, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a notebook with an ACPI system that notifies about the pressing
> > of the key for blocking touchpad. However, it does not notify it by
> > itself. I was considering sending the event to userspace and let it does
> > the blocking.
> >
> how do you know the event is sent via ACPI?
>
> please try "cat /proc/interrupts > interrupt-1;
> grep . /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/* > gpe-1; sleep 5;
> cat /proc/interrupts > interrupt-2;
> grep . /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/* > gpe-2", and press the block key
> during the 5 seconds sleep.
> Then please attach the 4 files here to see if there are ACPI interrupts
> generated by the key pressing.
>
> thanks,
> rui

I know because I've already done some investigation and have even
written a driver for it. It's WMI to be more precise. After calling a
WMI method, it does start notification through the PNP0C14 object, using
the notify_id of a GUID. Then, I can get the key calling a query block
for a third GUID. I get values for all the keys whose functions were
missing.

I am about to send the driver soon. It requires the fix for WMI that
I've sent yesterday to work at all, since the GUIDs I use were being
wrongly considerated as duplicates.

Thanks for the tip, though. I'll be sure to use it to lookup the source
for key presses next time. In fact, I did end up looking at *gpe* at
/sys/ while doing this investigation. Now, I'm sure that's one of the
first places to look up while searching for ACPI notifications.

Thanks Rui.

Regards,
Cascardo.