From: Andreas Oberritter <obi@linuxtv.org>
To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@redhat.com>
Cc: "Devin Heitmueller" <dheitmueller@kernellabs.com>,
	HoP <jpetrous@gmail.com>,
	"\"Sébastien RAILLARD (COEXSI)\"" <sr@coexsi.fr>,
	"Rémi Denis-Courmont" <remi@remlab.net>,
	linux-media@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] vtunerc - virtual DVB device driver
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 17:09:15 +0200	[thread overview]

On 06/21/2011 04:35 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> [...]
>>> (or reference code from the vendor)."
>>>
>>> "Ok.  Well, what is the licensing for that code?  Is it GPL compatible?"
>>>
>>> "Not currently.  So can we just make our driver closed source?"
>>>
>>> "Well, you can't reuse any of the existing DVB core functionality or
>>> any of the other GPL drivers (tuners, bridges, demods), so you would
>>> have rewrite all that from scratch."
>>>
>>> "Oh, that would be a ton of work.   Can we maybe write some userland
>>> stuff that controls the demodulator which we can keep closed source?
>>> Since it's not in the kernel, the GPL won't apply".
>>>
>>> "Well, you can't really do that because there is no way for the DVB
>>> core to call back out to userland when the application makes the
>>> tuning request to the DVB core."
>>>
>>> "Oh, ok then.  I guess we'll have to talk to the vendor and get them
>>> to give us the reference driver code under the GPL."
>>> ===
>>>
>>> I can tell you without a doubt that if this driver were present in the
>>> kernel, that going forward that vendor would have *zero* interest in
>>> doing any GPL driver work.  Why would they?  Why give away the code
>>> which could potentially help their competitors if they can keep it
>>> safe and protected while still being able to reuse everybody else's
>>> contributions?
>>>
>>> Companies don't contribute GPL code out of "good will".  They do it
>>> because they are compelled to by licenses or because there is no
>>> economically viable alternative.
>>>
>>> Mauro, ultimately it is your decision as the maintainer which drivers
>>> get accepted in to the kernel.  I can tell you though that this will
>>> be a very bad thing for the driver ecosystem as a whole - it will
>>> essentially make it trivial for vendors (some of which who are doing
>>> GPL work now) to provide solutions that reuse the GPL'd DVB core
>>> without having to make any of their stuff open source.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I said in my last email that would be my last email on the
>>> topic.  I guess I lied.
>>
>> Yes, and you did lie to your vendor, too, as you did not mention the
>> possibilities to create
>> 1.) closed source modules derived from existing vendor drivers while
>> still being able to use other drivers (c.f. EXPORT_SYMBOL vs.
>> EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL).
>
> AFAIK, the legal issues on writing a closed source driver using EXPORT_SYMBOL
> are not proofed legally in any court. While EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL explicitly
> adds a restriction, not using it doesn't necessarily mean that the symbol
> can be used by a closed source driver.
>
> If you take a look at Kernel's COPYING file, the only exception to GPL license
> allowed there is:
>
> 	 NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
> 	 services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use
> 	 of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".
>
> IANAL, but, as EXPORT_SYMBOL is not a "normal system call", my understanding is that

Of course. But as you should know, the GPL only covers derived work.
Whether or not a driver is a derived work of the kernel can only be
decided individually. It is my understanding that a Windows driver
ported to Linux is unlikely to be a derived work of Linux.

> I was told that several lawyers defend the idea that all software inside the
> kernel tree is covered by GPL, even the aggregated ones. That was the rationale
> used to split the firmware packages from the kernel itself.

However, I wasn't referring to the kernel tree at all.

>> 2.) a simple wrapper that calls userspace, therefore not having to open
>> up any "secrets" at all.
>
> A wrapper for a closed source driver is illegal, as it is trying to circumvent
> the GPL license.

Is it? First, you are not a lawyer. Second, a wrapper is unlikely to be
illegal by its pure existence and a wrapper does usually not try to do
anything by itself. Third, you can implement a wrapper using normal
system calls (read, write, mmap, ioctl ...). That's what vtuner does,
too, to accomplish a totally different goal. Do you think vtuner is
illegal? I would be very surprised if it was. It perfectly matches the
license exception cited above. And even without the exception, a closed
driver in userspace would only very unlikely be a derived work of the
kernel.

Regards,
Andreas