From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
To: "Darrick J. Wong" <djwong@kernel.org>
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>,
	linux-xfs <linux-xfs@vger.kernel.org>,
	Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com>,
	fdmanana@kernel.org,
	linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>, "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] vfs: fs freeze fix for 5.10-rc4
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 16:13:37 -0800	[thread overview]

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 3:38 PM Darrick J. Wong <djwong@kernel.org> wrote:

> Since the hack is unnecessary and causes thread race errors, just get
> rid of it completely.  Pushing this kind of vfs change midway through a
> cycle makes me nervous, but a large enough number of the usual
> VFS/ext4/XFS/btrfs suspects have said this looks good and solves a real
> problem vector, so I'm sending this for your consideration instead of
> holding off until 5.11.

Not a fan of the timing, but you make a good argument, and I love
seeing code removal. So I took it.

And once I took the real code change, the two cleanups looked like the
least of the problem, so I took them too.

I ended up doing it all just as a single pull, since it seemed
pointless to make history more complicated just to separate out the
cleanups in a separate pull.

Now I really hope this won't cause any problems, but it certainly
_looks_ harmless.

          Linus