From: Bob Brand <brand@wmawater.com.au>
To: "Wols Lists" <antlists@youngman.org.uk>, <linux-raid@vger.kernel.org>
Cc: "Phil Turmel" <philip@turmel.org>, "NeilBrown" <neilb@suse.com>
Subject: RE: Failed adadm RAID array after aborted Grown operation
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 23:07:31 +1000 (AEST)	[thread overview]

Hi Wol,

I did read the links you sent, actually I'd already trawled through them
prior to subscribing to the mailing list. They're how I learned about the
mailing list.

It seems that the conventional version of CentOS 8.5 is no longer available,
there's just the CentOS 8 Streams version and I wasn't sure how it would go
with the old style of CentOS. To be honest it didn't occur to me to go with
another flavour of Linux, I just figured that I'd use CentOS to repair
CentOS.

Anyway, I did try using "mdadm /dev/md2 -r detached" and "mdadm /dev/md2 -r
failed" to remove the removed disk to no avail.  I ended up using
"mdadm --grow /dev/md125 --array-size
218789036032 --backup-file=/mnt/sysimage/grow_md125_size_grow.bak --verbose"
followed by "mdadm --grow
/dev/md125 --raid-devices=30 --backup-file=/mnt/sysimage/grow_md125_grow_disks.bak
 --verbose" and it seems to be working in that it is reshaping the array
although it is apparently going to take around 16,000 minutes (would that be
because we've about 200TB of data?).

My concern now is whether or not I'll still have the mount issue once it
finally completes the reshape.  If it does mount OK, does that mean I'm good
to reboot it?

With regards to your comment about downloading lsdrv, I'll try and do that
although I'm having trouble configuring my DNS servers in the running rescue
disk OS. I could run lsblk but, from what I see of lsdrv, lsblk doesn't have
the detail that lsdrv has. I'll keep working on that and let you know what I
get - it looks like I have to edit it to use the older version of Python
that this installation has.

Cheers,
Bob