* download.ceph.com repository changes
@ 2018-07-24 14:38 Alfredo Deza
       [not found] ` <CAC-Np1zTk1G-LF3eJiqzSF8SS=h=Jrr261C4vHdgmmwcqhUeXQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2018-07-24 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-maintainers-Qp0mS5GaXlQ, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw,
	ceph-devel

Hi all,

After the 12.2.6 release went out, we've been thinking on better ways
to remove a version from our repositories to prevent users from
upgrading/installing a known bad release.

The way our repos are structured today means every single version of
the release is included in the repository. That is, for Luminous,
every 12.x.x version of the binaries is in the same repo. This is true
for both RPM and DEB repositories.

However, the DEB repos don't allow pinning to a given version because
our tooling (namely reprepro) doesn't construct the repositories in a
way that this is allowed. For RPM repos this is fine, and version
pinning works.

To remove a bad version we have to proposals (and would like to hear
ideas on other possibilities), one that would involve symlinks and the
other one which purges the known bad version from our repos.

*Symlinking*
When releasing we would have a "previous" and "latest" symlink that
would get updated as versions move forward. It would require
separation of versions at the URL level (all versions would no longer
be available in one repo).

The URL structure would then look like:

    debian/luminous/12.2.3/
    debian/luminous/previous/  (points to 12.2.5)
    debian/luminous/latest/   (points to 12.2.7)

Caveats: the url structure would change from debian-luminous/ to
prevent breakage, and the versions would be split. For RPMs it would
mean a regression if someone is used to pinning, for example pinning
to 12.2.2 wouldn't be possible using the same url.

Pros: Faster release times, less need to move packages around, and
easier to remove a bad version

*Single version removal*
Our tooling would need to go and remove the known bad version from the
repository, which would require to rebuild the repository again, so
that the metadata is updated with the difference in the binaries.

Caveats: time intensive process, almost like cutting a new release
which takes about a day (and sometimes longer). Error prone since the
process wouldn't be the same (one off, just when a version needs to be
removed)

Pros: all urls for download.ceph.com and its structure are kept the same.

* Re: download.ceph.com repository changes
@ 2019-09-17 13:53 vitalif-Y5Dpw2iYaIgvJsYlp49lxw
From: vitalif-Y5Dpw2iYaIgvJsYlp49lxw @ 2019-09-17 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janne Johansson; +Cc: ceph-maintainers-Qp0mS5GaXlQ, ceph-users, ceph-devel

The worst part about the official repository is that it lacks Debian
packages

Also of course it would be very convenient to be able to install any
version from the repos, not just the latest one. It's certainly possible
with debian repos...