* unpacking error
@ 2019-10-28  0:11 lyle.ziegelmiller
From: lyle.ziegelmiller @ 2019-10-28  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'git bug report'

Hi

I almost always get this error when pushing from my PC to the bare
repository on my laptop. I'm running Cygwin on Windows 10. I've tried
everything! chmod -R 777, chown -R <my user id>, etc.

A few more details: I have a Git repository on my PC, and from that, I've
cloned a bare repository on my laptop, which I then used to clone a regular
repository on my laptop. The error occurs when I attempt to push changes on
my PC into the bare repository on my laptop.

If I delete the old bare repository on my laptop, I'm able to create a new
bare repository on my laptop from my pc, but then as soon as I try to push
to it, I get this error again. I've tried disabling the anti-virus, etc.
I've spent hours Googling solutions. Nothing works! Many others have had
this same issue. I never had this type of problem with SVN.

It would be nice if Git would say what's failing when this happens, and it
would be nice to get this bug fixed. It happens with all my git
repositories. I don't think it's a network issue or I wouldn't be able to
create a new repository on my laptop from my PC, as that would encounter the
same permissions issues.

The two machines are connected with an ethernet cable. I've done everything
I can to make sure all the Windows permissions are set correctly, etc.

$ git push
Counting objects: 3, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done.
Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 331 bytes | 331.00 KiB/s, done.
Total 3 (delta 2), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: fatal: not a git repository: '.'
error: remote unpack failed: unpack-objects abnormal exit To
//lylez-laptop/Users/Administrator/bare-repositories/Tradelab-bare-repositor
y.git/
 ! [remote rejected] timestamp_testing -> timestamp_testing (unpacker error)
error: failed to push some refs to
'//lylez-laptop/Users/Administrator/bare-repositories/Tradelab-bare-reposito
ry.git/'

$ git --version
git version 2.17.0

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 10/27/2019, 16:53:09
             Machine name: LJZ-DELLPC
               Machine Id: {39BC0826-743F-4ECA-AFBE-66A14FBE533C}
         Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134)
(17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
             System Model: Inspiron 3650
                     BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/17/16 21:14:07 Ver: 05.0000B (type:
BIOS)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz (4 CPUs),
~2.7GHz
                   Memory: 8192MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 8096MB RAM
                Page File: 8076MB used, 7243MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP Microsoft Graphics Hybrid:
Not Supported
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

Regards,

Lyle Ziegelmiller

* Re: unpacking error
@ 2019-10-28 10:14 ` Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2019-10-28 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lyle.ziegelmiller, 'git bug report'

On 28/10/2019 00:11, lyle.ziegelmiller@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I almost always get this error when pushing from my PC to the bare
> repository on my laptop. I'm running Cygwin on Windows 10. I've tried
> everything! chmod -R 777, chown -R <my user id>, etc.
>
> A few more details: I have a Git repository on my PC, and from that, I've
> cloned a bare repository on my laptop,

How did you clone that bare repository? In particular, how did you
provide the path to that repo.

If I understand correctly it must be in a URL format (e.g. file://) to
ensure that you get distinct repos, rather than two interrelated repos
(thought the docs discuss the issue as being the transport mechanism).

The same issue probably applies to the subsequent clones of the bare repo.

Perhaps focus on the error message and decide if "." is the correct way
of thinking about the path.

>   which I then used to clone a regular
> repository on my laptop. The error occurs when I attempt to push changes on
> my PC into the bare repository on my laptop.
>
> If I delete the old bare repository on my laptop, I'm able to create a new
> bare repository on my laptop from my pc, but then as soon as I try to push
> to it, I get this error again. I've tried disabling the anti-virus, etc.
> I've spent hours Googling solutions. Nothing works! Many others have had
> this same issue. I never had this type of problem with SVN.
>
> It would be nice if Git would say what's failing when this happens, and it
> would be nice to get this bug fixed. It happens with all my git
> repositories. I don't think it's a network issue or I wouldn't be able to
> create a new repository on my laptop from my PC, as that would encounter the
> same permissions issues.
>
> The two machines are connected with an ethernet cable. I've done everything
> I can to make sure all the Windows permissions are set correctly, etc.
>
> $ git push
> Counting objects: 3, done.
> Delta compression using up to 4 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 331 bytes | 331.00 KiB/s, done.
> Total 3 (delta 2), reused 0 (delta 0)

> remote: fatal: not a git repository: '.'
Why is the remote end of the connection reporting the error that it is
looking at "." (as opposed to a proper path/repo)?

I could easily be wrong - I haven't double checked the man pages at all,
but thought a comment may help your research.

--
Philip

* RE: unpacking error
@ 2019-10-29  4:47   ` lyle.ziegelmiller
       [not found]     ` <001a01d5a256$5e64d010$1b2e7030$@gmail.com>
Thanks for writing back. Please see below.

Regards

Lyle

On 28/10/2019 00:11, lyle.ziegelmiller@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I almost always get this error when pushing from my PC to the bare
> repository on my laptop. I'm running Cygwin on Windows 10. I've tried
> everything! chmod -R 777, chown -R <my user id>, etc.
>
> A few more details: I have a Git repository on my PC, and from that,
> I've cloned a bare repository on my laptop,

[Philip] "How did you clone that bare repository? In particular, how did you provide the path to that repo."

I'm recreating the entire process below with a smaller repository on my PC (so it won't take hours to clone, etc):

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$ git clone --bare . //lylez-laptop/Users/Administrator/bare-repositories/budget-bare-repository.git
Cloning into bare repository '//lylez-laptop/Users/Administrator/bare-repositories/budget-bare-repository.git'...
done.

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$ echo "line1" > afile.txt

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$ git add afile.txt

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$ git commit -m 'Added afile.txt'
[master 7fa616b] Added afile.txt
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
 create mode 100644 afile.txt

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$ git push
Counting objects: 3, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (2/2), done.
Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 287 bytes | 287.00 KiB/s, done.
Total 3 (delta 1), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: fatal: not a git repository: '.'
error: remote unpack failed: unpack-objects abnormal exit
To //lylez-laptop/Users/Administrator/bare-repositories/budget-bare-repository.git
 ! [remote rejected] master -> master (unpacker error)
error: failed to push some refs to '//lylez-laptop/Users/Administrator/bare-repositories/budget-bare-repository.git'

Note: I'm able to access the remote repository using Cygwin Unix commands on Windows 10:

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$ ls //lylez-laptop/Users/Administrator/bare-repositories/budget-bare-repository.git
config  description  HEAD  hooks  info  objects  packed-refs  refs

... and I do have write permission:

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$ touch //lylez-laptop/Users/Administrator/bare-repositories/budget-bare-repository.git/anotherFile.txt

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$ echo "line2" >> //lylez-laptop/Users/Administrator/bare-repositories/budget-bare-repository.git/anotherFile.txt

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$ git remote -v
origin  //lylez-laptop/Users/Administrator/bare-repositories/budget-bare-repository.git (fetch)
origin  //lylez-laptop/Users/Administrator/bare-repositories/budget-bare-repository.git (push)

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$

So, I can clone the repository, and I can still write to the remote directory using the "touch" and "echo" commands. But I can't push to it. It seems that "clone" can access (create, actually) the remote repository, but "push" cannot access it effectively.

[Philip] "If I understand correctly it must be in a URL format (e.g. file://) to ensure that you get distinct repos, rather than two interrelated repos (thought the docs discuss the issue as being the transport mechanism)."

"file://" is for referring to a local file from within a web browser. "//" is how to begin a path of a file on a remote machine in Windows.

After doing all of this, I created another test file on my laptop (filename: afile2.txt) in the repository on my laptop made by cloning the bare repository that I just created on my laptop, and added the test file afile2.txt to the cloned non-bare git repository, and then did a "git push" on my laptop (the remote machine) to the bare repository on my laptop (the remote machine). Then, back on my PC, I was able to do a git pull even though earlier I could not do a git push:

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$ git pull
remote: Counting objects: 3, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (3/3), done.
From //lylez-laptop/Users/Administrator/bare-repositories/budget-bare-repository
 + e9d5a3c...cd21f1d master     -> origin/master  (forced update)
Merge made by the 'recursive' strategy.
 afile2.txt | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
 create mode 100644 afile2.txt

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$ ls
afile.txt  afile2.txt  backup  Budget.xlsx  Joanne  Scotland.xlsx

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget

And there it is, the new file (afile2.txt).

So Git is able to utilize the remote bare repository for cloning on the remote machine, and on the local machine (my PC) it can pull from the remote bare repository, but it can't push to it.

[Philip] "The same issue probably applies to the subsequent clones of the bare repo."

[Philip] "Perhaps focus on the error message and decide if "." is the correct way of thinking about the path."

"." is the local directory on my PC that was initially cloned. It is where the Git repository reside:

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$ ls -a
.  ..  .git  afile.txt  afile2.txt  backup  Budget.xlsx  Joanne  Scotland.xlsx

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget

>   which I then used to clone a regular repository on my laptop. The
> error occurs when I attempt to push changes on my PC into the bare
> repository on my laptop.
>
> If I delete the old bare repository on my laptop, I'm able to create a
> new bare repository on my laptop from my pc, but then as soon as I try
> to push to it, I get this error again. I've tried disabling the anti-virus, etc.
> I've spent hours Googling solutions. Nothing works! Many others have
> had this same issue. I never had this type of problem with SVN.
>
> It would be nice if Git would say what's failing when this happens,
> and it would be nice to get this bug fixed. It happens with all my git
> repositories. I don't think it's a network issue or I wouldn't be able
> to create a new repository on my laptop from my PC, as that would
> encounter the same permissions issues.
>
> The two machines are connected with an ethernet cable. I've done
> everything I can to make sure all the Windows permissions are set correctly, etc.
>
> $ git push
> Counting objects: 3, done.
> Delta compression using up to 4 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 331 bytes | 331.00 KiB/s, done.
> Total 3 (delta 2), reused 0 (delta 0)

> remote: fatal: not a git repository: '.'
[Philip] "Why is the remote end of the connection reporting the error that it is looking at "." (as opposed to a proper path/repo)?"

I'm not sure. I cloned ".". I think that's a legitimate thing to do.

All this stuff has worked for me for years. I'm not sure why it's stopped working.

[Philip] "I could easily be wrong - I haven't double checked the man pages at all, but thought a comment may help your research."

--
Philip

* Re: FW: unpacking error
       [not found]     ` <001a01d5a256$5e64d010$1b2e7030$@gmail.com>
@ 2019-11-24 14:53       ` Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2019-11-24 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lyle.ziegelmiller, Git List

On 23/11/2019 23:33, lyle.ziegelmiller@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Philip
>
> Any updates on this?

I haven't seen anything on list
(https://public-inbox.org/git/005501d58e14$07504990$15f0dcb0$@gmail.com/)
and haven;'t looked any further myself.
cc'ing the list.

Have you managed any more investigation?
Or tried upgrading to the latest release v2.24.x (which may provide
updated error messages)?

Have a careful review of error messages and see if you can correlate at
least some of them with information you can find in your setup.

e.g. the first part of the error stream is "remote: fatal: not a git
repository: '.'  "
This means the remote system is sending you a message that it is looking
at '.' and hoping that it is a repository, but it isn't. So why is it
looking (within the remote) at '.' - is that path something you sent?,
it is a misconfiguration at the remote?, etc.

This may also be a bad interaction between cygwin and your Git (is it
Git for Windows, or ..).

Philip

> Thanks
>
> Lyle

* FW: unpacking error
       [not found]     ` <001a01d5a256$5e64d010$1b2e7030$@gmail.com>
@ 2019-12-25 18:49       ` lyle.ziegelmiller
       [not found]         ` <4C0A4F83-DD45-455F-B086-3416F86C1CCE@iee.email>
From: lyle.ziegelmiller @ 2019-12-25 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi

It seems Philip is no longer receiving emails?

Please see below.

Regards

Lyle

> [...]

"file://" is for referring to a local file from within a web browser. "//" is how to begin a path of a file on a remote machine in Windows.

After doing all of this, I created another test file on my laptop (filename: afile2.txt) in the repository on my laptop made by cloning the bare repository that I just created on my laptop, and added the test file afile2.txt to the cloned non-bare git repository, and then did a "git push" on my laptop (the remote machine) to the bare repository on my laptop (the remote machine). Then, back on my PC, I was able to do a git pull even though earlier I could not do a git push:

lylez@LJZ-DELLPC /cygdrive/c/Users/lyle/documents/budget
$ git pull
remote: Counting objects: 3, done.
remote: Total 3 (delta 1), reused 0 (delta 0) Unpacking objects: 100% (3/3), done.
From //lylez-laptop/Users/Administrator/bare-repositories/budget-bare-repository

--
Philip

* RE: FW: unpacking error
       [not found]         ` <4C0A4F83-DD45-455F-B086-3416F86C1CCE@iee.email>
@ 2020-01-18 18:07           ` lyle.ziegelmiller
From: lyle.ziegelmiller @ 2020-01-18 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Philip Oakley', git

Hi Philip

Per your request, here's a reminder (albeit a bit late) after January 4th. Please see below.

Regards

Lyle