From: "Paul Rolland" <rol@as2917.net>
To: "'Robert Hancock'" <hancockr@shaw.ca>
Subject: RE: AHCI - remove probing of ata2
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:32:02 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

> There is something connected, I believe what's actually there on this
> board on that port is the SiI4723 chip which is connected to
> two other
> SATA ports. For whatever reason it gets detected as a drive,
> and it also
> seems to be not responding until we do a few resets..

That's correct, there is this controller, used by Asus for their EZ-Backup
feature. But I'm not using it, there is no disk connected on the associated
ports, and it's disabled in the BIOS.

> My advice on recent kernels is just set CONFIG_IDE=n and enable
> PATA_JMICRON if you want JMicron support, unless you really
> want to use the crusty old IDE layer..

No real preferences... except for a working machine, which is not what
I have for now...

I've been trying this, but I ended with the ICH7 not detecting anymore
my IDE disks...
Should try again, maybe I missed something.

Regards,
Paul