From: Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>
To: Philippe Gerum <rpm@xenomai.org>, song <chensong@tj.kylinos.cn>,
	Henning Schild <henning.schild@siemens.com>
Cc: "Pirou, Florent" <florent.pirou@intel.com>,
	"Hu, Mingliang" <mingliang.hu@intel.com>,
	"Wang, Rick Y" <rick.y.wang@intel.com>,
	xenomai@xenomai.org
Subject: Re: Useless dovetail hacks
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 13:21:49 +0200	[thread overview]

On 12.09.20 18:40, Philippe Gerum wrote:

> [...]
>> in first step. Obviously, that is not optimal.
>>

>>> Overall, switching to Dovetail entails disabling a significant amount of
>>> low-level code from Cobalt, which implements features the former already
>>> handles (like core context switch support, fpu sharing between execution
>>> stages, shared interrupt support [in xnintr] and reading the POSIX
>>> clocks from the real-time context via the generic vDSO).

>>> Assuming you meant that an option might be to enable Xenomai 3.1 to run
>>> over Dovetail, I would say that a Dovetail-based Cobalt core implies
>>> Xenomai 3.2+ instead, because 3.1.x is deemed stable, therefore the ABI
>>> changes involved in such a transition should not make their way into the
>>> stable tree.  There is also the issue of ppc32 and x86_32, which
>>> Dovetail does not support.
>>
>> x86_32 is long gone, no one needs this anymore. ppc32 is different, but
>> we would not hold breath if one arch is not able to follow in time. I
>> wouldn't see an issue with leaving a combination initially unsupported.
>>
>> Anyway, the criteria for 3.2 vs. 3.1 enhancement is whether we can keep
>> the kernel-user ABI stable. I have no concrete feeling for that yet.
>> Primarily, we are working on the kernel internals. But prio is on being
>> able to move forward, and if that is much simpler via a new major
>> release, than we will do that.
>>

>>> Although having both ABIs live side-by-side in a way that would maintain
>>> backward compat with I-pipe kernels might be done, the result would not
>>> be pretty implementation-wise: redundancies and ugly wrappings to be
>>> expected in libcobalt, and two set of build settings for the latter
>>> depending on which ABI is targeted to avoid indirect calls all over the
>>> place. Which would also require having separate sets of user-space
>>> libraries, specifically built for one IRQ pipeline core or the
>>> other, adding to the confusion.
>>
>> Can you give some example where ipipe concepts "leak" into userspace?
>>

> The ARM port exports the current clocksource counter to user-space via
> MMIO mapping in order for application processes to perform fast readings
> (i.e. arch/arm/include/asm/xenomai/uapi/tsc.h). Then comes the ticks to
> nanosecs translation from the read value via the arith code, both in
> kernel and libcobalt.
>
> Also, Dovetail reworked the foreign syscall identification scheme on
> ARM. The I-pipe relies on a specific SWI instruction argument signature
> (0xF0042) to detect syscalls which shall be directed to the real-time
> core. The reason is rooted into the OABI/EABI call convention split,
> Xenomai still supporting both of them.  With other architectures, the
> I-pipe makes this decision on the syscall number instead (i.e. checking
> the MSB). Now that OABI is pretty much dead, Dovetail has aligned the
> ARM implementation on the common rule for encoding a co-kernel syscall,
> supporting EABI only. In other words, the way XENOMAI_SYSCALL() expands
> on ARM would differ between an I-pipe and a Dovetail-based system.

OK, so ARM is our primary problem here. If it remains the only one, we
may consider excluding that arch from a stable dovetail port and
covering it again from timely scheduled major release. But it definitely
means we need a major update branch from which we may backport certain
patches to stable if they can benefit other archs.

>>> On a more general note, isn't the issue about which should be the final
>>> kernel release the project would pledge to support with Xenomai 3.1.x?
>>>
>>> As of today, Xenomai 3.1 is (almost) running kernel 5.4 LTS over the
>>> I-pipe, at least on x86. If things go as usual upstream, the next LTS
>>> kernel is going to be post-5.7, which means the effort in porting the
>>> I-pipe to the next LTS release may be quite significant, with many
>>> conflicts to expect between the upstream changes and the pipeline code
>>> starting from kernel 5.8, particularly for x86. For this reason, keeping
>>> the Cobalt core compatible with the I-pipe beyond kernel 5.4, adding
>>> support for Dovetail the right way in the meantime seems a hard nut to
>>> crack maintenance-wise.
>>
>> Having a 5.4 I-pipe in reach definitely relaxes our pressure to move the
>> core over dovetail and do many necessary and reasonable refactoring
>> along that. 5.10 will most likely by the next LTS, and that is what the
>> dovetail porting is targeting.
>>

>>> Out of curiosity, are there teams at Intel/Siemens planning for this
>>> already?
>>
>> Intel stepped up to work with the I-pipe 5.4 port for x86 and would also
>> like to support with the dovetail work. At Siemens we are looking at the
>> y2038 conversion and the dovetail baseline. For the former topic
>> Chensong is joining us.
>>

> An approach that worked well for EVL is to combine the y2038 and 32-bit
> compat mode (aarch32->aarch64) efforts. Many (if not most) syscall32
> wrappers which Cobalt implements are actually addressing the long-type
> representation issue with timespecs, which y2038 also has to solve.

Worth to look along this patch - adding Chengsong and Henning.

> At the end of the day, syscall32 wrapping became pointless (granted, the
> EVL core only needs three system calls, one of which receives those data
> structures, but the Cobalt ABI could be reworked in a similar fashion).
> Reducing the number of system call entries Cobalt implements would also
> go a long way towards libcobalt compatibility with Valgrind.

I don't think the number of entry points matters. The number of
dispatched functions affected by problematic data structures or
parameters does. IOCTLs of drivers that have incompatible specific
interfaces defined would be the best example - but I think we don't have
many affected thanks to nanosecs_abs/rel_t.

> [...]
>>
>> Drivers for hardware that deceased a decade ago or so should probably be
>> removed (RTnet hosts several candidates). The rest depends on users
>> looking for it. Latest when things stop to build and no one notices, we
>> should start removing more agressively. The next major release should
>> probable be used to sweep the corners.
>>
>> As we know, there is no magic answer to this problem. When you split
>> scheduling and, thus, also synchronization primitives, you automatically
>> create a second world for drivers. Sharing setup and resource management
>> logic with Linux, which we do to a certain degree already, mitigates
>> this a bit but will never solve this fundamental issue. So, only
>> interfaces/hw that matter enough will see the required extra effort to
>> run over co-kernel environments.
>>

> I agree. However, with hindsight and quite some time spent working on
> this issue with EVL, I believe that in many cases, it is possible to
> merge the "dual kernel" execution logic into the common driver semantics
> in a way which does not require having a separate driver stack, but
> rather the common driver model knowing about the out-of-band/primary
> mode contexts.
>
> If we cannot make the whole driver run happily in primary mode for the
> reasons you mentioned, it may still be possible to define a set of
> simple operations which may do so provided they are mutually exclusive
> with the regular driver work, and have them live directly into the
> original driver, instead of forking off of the latter to implement an ad
> hoc driver, which is pretty much signing up for bit rot down the
> road. Although there are still two competing execution contexts (primary
> vs secondary in Xenomai's lingo) and only very few bridges between them,
> such level of integration limits the amount of -semantically- redundant
> code between both.
>
> SPI, DMA, and GPIOs are a no brainer for this and are already available
> in such form, serial and network need more analysis because their
> execution contexts are either more clumsy/complex. I also got the PCM
> portion of the Alsa stack enabled with a complete I/O path over the
> real-time context, from the user (ioctl) request to send/recv frames to
> some i2s device, via DMA transactions controlled by the PCM core. As
> weird as it may seem, it is actually not that intrusive, and works quite
> well, including at insane acquisition rates for feeding an audio
> pipeline. There is still some work ahead to fix rough edges, but the
> fundamentals look sane.
>
> Overall, the idea is not about preventing people to depend on some
> abstract driver interface like RTDM would they wish to, but instead to
> make this indirection optional when a deeper integration with the common
> device driver model is possible and preferred.
>
> Of course, the whole idea only makes sense if one is willing to maintain
> the real-time core directly into the linux kernel tree, which is how EVL

Right, and we will see how well that will scale with an increasing
number of drivers patched - even just slightly - in order to add
out-of-band support.

> [...]
> in Cobalt, unless the code is refactored in a way which decouples it
> from the nklock rules. So as long as a CPU may run real-time tasks, it
> has to receive clock ticks, therefore the ugly big lock will be required
> to serialize accesses to the timer management code. Because that code
> has locking dependencies on the scheduler implementation, the path to a
> better scalability should start with protecting the timer machinery
> without relying on that lock.
>

>> However, fine-grained locking does not come for free and can quickly
>> lead to complex lock nesting and - at least theoretically - even worse
>> results. So this will have to be a careful transition. Or EVL proves to
>> have solved that better in all degrees, and we just jump over.
>>

> I believe that the issue of dropping the nklock has been an unfortunate
> bogeyman since this idea was first floated circa 2008. Obviously, this
> is not trivial, and this process has to be gradual, removing all
> roadblocks one after another, which includes rewriting portions of
> touchy code (like xnsynch). However, the final implemention is far from
> being that complex. On the contrary, the resulting code is much simpler
> in the end. To give practical details, a basic lock nesting hierarchy
> which would fit the Cobalt scheduler can be as simple as:
>
> 	thread->lock
> 		run_queue->lock
> 		       timer_base->lock
>
> No more than three nesting levels would be needed to cover the basic
> timer and scheduling systems. I can only tell about my experience
> following this process with the EVL core, which as you know started off
> from the Cobalt core: after a year running this new scalable
> implementation with no more big lock inside, I believe the effort to get
> there was well worth it, not only in terms of SMP performance, but it
> also helped a lot cleaning up the internal interfaces, such as the core
> synchronization mechanisms.
>
> Last but not least, this effort also helped in addressing the issue of
> stale references to core objects in a reliable way. Cobalt most often
> relies on holding the nklock in order to prevent a user (request) from
> referring to a core object while some other thread might be dismantling
> it. In some cases, this approach is fragile enough to require the
> memory-independent, opaque handle representing the object to be
> re-validated multiple times to make sure the underlying stuff was not
> wiped out under our feet while we had to temporarily release the big
> lock for whatever reason. This also means that destructors of internal
> objects have to hold the big lock, which ends up not looking pretty in
> latency figures (the jitter caused by hitting ^C when switchtest runs on
> 4+ CPUs is noticeable).
>
> In other words, once one agrees that there should be no big lock
> anymore, the conversation has to start about how to protect against
> stale references in a proper, more efficient way.

RCU - which is not simple to get right. But it can solve many of the
issues where the setup/teardown time does not matter.

> [...]
>>>    is 7-years old).
>>
>> We may still have stuff lying around that was designed for making 3.10
>> happy and was never cleaned up, but even 3.0.x is limited to 4.4 by now
>> (likely no one is testing older kernels with it).
>>
>> I still see value in decoupling the RT core from the kernel, at least as
>> long as the kernel reasonably permits this. In our domain, there is a
>> high demand for long-term support, and providing that for n-kernel
>> versions is already hard when looking at the core patches and its fixes
>> at different releases. Adding the whole scheduling core and APIs to that
>> will not make things easier IMHO. Unless someone convinces upstream to
>> merge a co-scheduling core, that would obviously change the rules...
>>

> I see multiple aspects in this discussion which relate to distinct goals
> and endeavors. I won't discuss the issue of merging a co-scheduling core
> upstream, because although this would indeed lift many maintenance
> problems for such core, I don't see this as a prereq for implementing a
> maintenance process more aligned on what happens upstream. In fact, I
> would say that the opposite is true: more coupling would be required for
> submitting anything upstream.
>
> I believe it is fair to say that only a tiny fraction of the kernel
> releases Xenomai 3 officially supports (35 releases or so since v3.10)
> is routinely tested, only the most recent are, and most of them on x86
> hardware, thanks to the work of the Siemens team on CI. Not to speak
> about the actual test coverage (most of the I/O driver support is
> unlikely to be tested on a regular basis, most of the tests exercise the
> core system calls instead).
>
> Therefore, although there is a single Xenomai code base which in theory
> might still build on top of any of these ~35 releases, and despite the
> fact that you are careful about not introducing potential regressions
> when accepting new code, it would be fairly hazardous to derive from
> this any practical guarantee that Xenomai 3 would work just fine on
> every possible legacy kernel release down to v3.10. That validation part
> is being taken care of by interested users themselves. So I would say
> that there may be a perceived upside about maintaining the RT core
> outside of the target kernel tree, but in practice, this only applies to
> a few kernel releases, with decent but limited test coverage fitting the
> resources, likely starting with v4.4 as you mentioned.
>
> In addition, we have to acknowledge the fact that among the projects
> deploying Xenomai in industrial solutions, quite a few of them are
> running vendor kernels, particularly in the ARM world (I'll refrain from
> trying to figure out why this pain may be self-inflicted for no valid
> reason in many cases). Since Xenomai (and EVL the same way) exclusively
> targets mainline kernels, the "one code base for many kernels" perceived
> advantage I mentioned earlier looks even more shallow there.

Not sure about that. If mainline kernel A < B is supported by the core,
A <= vendor kernel X <= B would actually be covered as well. Provided
the vendor didn't mess things up.

Luckily, the need for vendor kernels is constantly falling. We are also
pushing our suppliers hard to improve that further. Almost everyone
relevant is upstreaming by now, "just" the pace is still insufficient.
And we you are still in need for downstream, e.g. due to release timing,
you are generally well aligned via LTS and also CIP kernels.

> Still, this decoupling may have spared many projects/companies from
> having to maintain their own Xenomai-enabled linux tree for a slew of
> possible Xenomai and kernel release combos over time. In other words,
> those companies might have been outsourcing this long-running
> maintenance task to the Xenomai project, throughout their product(s)
> lifetime. Some of them may have been happy with the result, other may
> have faced issues with some broken Xenomai/linux/architecture combo they
> had to fix, we actually don't know how to assess how successful this
> strategy might have been for them given the endemic deficit in feedback.
>
> Which brings me back to the point of high demand for long-term support:
> for sure such support is certainly a requirement in our field, but is
> properly maintaining and thoroughly testing more than a couple of
> real-time core/linux combos on a handful of CPU architectures at any
> point in time, something anyone of us can pledge given the resources at
> hand? Are Siemens or Intel planning for anything like this?

As written above: The focus on enabling LTS is a reasonable compromise
that helps to cover the vast majority of the use cases, I would say.
SLTS (CIP) maintenance will be handled as long as there is financial
backing by users.

I don't see a need to support intermediate kernels actively, except for
head development (if we had the time...). Users sitting for products on
random trees (including non-stable vendor stuff) need to feel the pain
of doing things completely wrong, and many are realizing that by now.

Jan