* gobject introspection needing pygobject (cross-compilation)
@ 2017-03-31  6:06 colin.helliwell
From: colin.helliwell @ 2017-03-31  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I've got a few packages in my image which need gobject introspection.
(x86-64 host, ARM target)
One is building fine, but the other - NetworkManager - is failing to
generate the introspection data because it can't analyse the cross-compiled
library. Apparently it uses pygobject in doing this, and thus needs a
version of that for the target architecture.
Are there steps I can take to achieve this? I guess it needs some 'qemu'
technique as with other the G-I support mechanisms?

(Currently working with Krogoth release)

* Re: gobject introspection needing pygobject (cross-compilation)
@ 2017-03-31  7:26 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2017-03-31  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 03/31/2017 09:06 AM, colin.helliwell@ln-systems.com wrote:
> I've got a few packages in my image which need gobject introspection.
> (x86-64 host, ARM target)
> One is building fine, but the other - NetworkManager - is failing to
> generate the introspection data because it can't analyse the cross-compiled
> library. Apparently it uses pygobject in doing this, and thus needs a
> version of that for the target architecture.
> Are there steps I can take to achieve this? I guess it needs some 'qemu'
> technique as with other the G-I support mechanisms?

I guess you have read and understood the section in the Yocto manual
dedicated to this?

To provide useful help, I need to see specifics. What is the error
message you are getting? Where are your recipes, and which one is failing?

Alex

* Re: gobject introspection needing pygobject (cross-compilation)
@ 2017-03-31  7:31 ` Jussi Kukkonen
From: Jussi Kukkonen @ 2017-03-31  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: colin.helliwell; +Cc: Yocto Project

On 31 March 2017 at 09:06, <colin.helliwell@ln-systems.com> wrote:

> I've got a few packages in my image which need gobject introspection.
> (x86-64 host, ARM target)
> One is building fine, but the other - NetworkManager - is failing to
> generate the introspection data because it can't analyse the cross-compiled
> library. Apparently it uses pygobject in doing this, and thus needs a
> version of that for the target architecture.
> Are there steps I can take to achieve this? I guess it needs some 'qemu'
> technique as with other the G-I support mechanisms?

It's unlikely that python (or anything other than target versions of
gi-ir-compiler/g-ir-scanner) is needed for generating introspection data.
A quick look at configure.ac seems to imply it's actually trying to build
some documentation with python using the generated GIR data...

Maybe check if the pregenerated docs contain thes documentation bits and
try to disable that docs generation as first solution?

Jussi

* Re: gobject introspection needing pygobject (cross-compilation)
@ 2017-03-31  7:36   ` Colin Helliwell
From: Colin Helliwell @ 2017-03-31  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

> On 31 March 2017 at 08:26 Alexander Kanavin <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
> On 03/31/2017 09:06 AM, colin.helliwell@ln-systems.com wrote:
>
> > I've got a few packages in my image which need gobject introspection.
> > (x86-64 host, ARM target)
> > One is building fine, but the other - NetworkManager - is failing to
> > generate the introspection data because it can't analyse the cross-compiled
> > library. Apparently it uses pygobject in doing this, and thus needs a
> > version of that for the target architecture.
> > Are there steps I can take to achieve this? I guess it needs some 'qemu'
> > technique as with other the G-I support mechanisms?
>
> I guess you have read and understood the section in the Yocto manual
> dedicated to this?

Project Dev Manual 5.7?  Yep, have read that. In fact, I've been able to enable g-i on ModemManager, and on NetworkManager 1.4 - but there's something new about 1.6/1.8 that's throwing this problem.

> To provide useful help, I need to see specifics. What is the error
> message you are getting? Where are your recipes, and which one is failing?

Sure. I'll put together additional info.