From: Joseph Reynolds <jrey@linux.ibm.com>
To: Neil Bradley <Neil_Bradley@phoenix.com>,
	OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Re: bmcweb 30 second lockout
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 18:20:58 -0500	[thread overview]

On 9/9/20 5:13 PM, Neil Bradley wrote:

> I had recently read somewhere on the OpenBMC mailing list (forgive me,
> as I can’t find it anywhere now) recently indicating that there’d be a
> 30 second lockout for a given user if there were 3 consecutive failed
> login attempts. My question is firstly, is this the case, and
> secondly, is it tied to the user globally regardless of connection or
> is it per user and connection? The reason I ask is that the former
> would still allow for a denial of service attack and want to make sure
> that’s not actually the case.

I can think of two items:

1. I had pushed an experimental gerrit code review to do what you described.
Here: https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/31841
My idea has not gained much traction and is recorded here:
https://github.com/ibm-openbmc/dev/issues/2434
and here: https://github.com/linux-pam/linux-pam/issues/216
and here: https://github.com/deksai/pam_abl/issues/4
and other places.
If this ever gets merged, it would NOT the be default behavior.

2. The user lockouts for failed authentication attempts is handled by
pam_tally2 and controlled by Redfish APIs.
See
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-phosphor/recipes-extended/pam/libpam/pam.d/common-auth
In pam.d/common-auth, the default pam_tally2 deny=0 means "accounts are
never locked because of failed authentication attempts".

The Redfish APIs are implemented here:
https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/redfish-core/lib/account_service.hpp
Specifically, PATCHing /redfish/v1/AccountService/ property
AccountLockoutDurationor AccountLockoutThreshold invokes a D-Bus method
which ultimately modifies the pam.d/common-auth config file above.

Note that downstream projects may typically want to modify these default
settings.

3. I don't think you mean this: There is a current code review for a
BMCWeb enhancement to allow the BMC admin to control the idle session
SessionTimeout property.  The minimum is 30 seconds. See
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/36016

- Joseph