Okay, I get it. I defer to your decision. Humphrey We are but sheep and here to be fleeced On 24/1/21 8:03 pm, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote: > Hello! > > On 1/24/21 4:32 AM, Humphrey van Polanen Petel wrote: >> Whether it is a trivial problem or not I am not qualified to comment on, but it >> nevertheless seems to me that being able to identify at boot a systemby the name >> by which it is know is of obvious benefit simply because mnemonics are most easily >> remembered. > I was not arguing this point. I was just talking about the development and maintenance > effort. > >> And if you wish to call this a "rather exotic problem" then I would like to point out >> that it is not up to the developers, but to the users to determine how they use their >> system. > No developer is telling you how to use the software, that's not my point but that someone > has to implement the feature and maintain it and that person is the developer. > > So while the developer does not get to tell you how you use the software, he decides what > he works on and what not. And if there is a feature that is requested by only a very small > amount of users, then it usually makes no sense to put up with the additional development > and maintenance burden. > > Adrian >