From: Maurizio Lombardi <mlombard@redhat.com>
To: Forza <forza@tnonline.net>,
	Mike Christie <michael.christie@oracle.com>,
	target-devel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Stability of FILEIO as backing store?
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 12:22:16 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello, I'm trying to reproduce the problem you reported on Fedora 33

Dne 01. 03. 21 v 16:38 Forza napsal(a):

> Also, the "aio" attribute  is different. Perhaps I set it manually in Fedora, but I cannot remember. It is not visible in /sys but is in the saveconfig.json.
> Ubuntu:
>   "storage_objects": [
>     {
>       "aio": false,
> Fedora:
>   "storage_objects": [
>     {
>       "aio": true,
>
> Does "aio" mean Async I/O in this case? I could not find any documentation for this attribute.

Yes, it means "async I/O" but I don't understand why it's set to true.
Looking at the rtslib/targetcli sources, aio by default is set to false and
it's not even possible to change it via targetcli.
You likely changed it manually in the saveconfig.json file.

Btw, there is a possible race condition in kernel versions < v5.12-rc1
when async i/o is enabled:

In the fd_execute_rw_aio() function, the bvec pointer is freed before the
async command is completed, might be the reason behind the disk corruptions?

This has been fixed with commit ecd7fba0ade1d6d8d49d320df9caf96922a376b2

Maurizio