* Dev86-native dependency
@ 2019-04-15 15:50 Sathees Balya
From: Sathees Balya @ 2019-04-15 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-virtualization

The xen recipe has a hard dependency on dev86-native package (meta-virtualization/recipes-extended/xen/xen.inc). It does not allow us to build for aarch64 natively for Arm. At the moment, we have a workaround in the bbappend file for xen to remove the dependency.

DEPENDS_remove = "dev86-native"

Can the recipe be made generic so that both x86 and Arm can be built without the need for the above workaround? Thanks.

Regards,
Sathees

* Re: Dev86-native dependency
@ 2019-04-16  1:46 ` M. Asselstine
From: M. Asselstine @ 2019-04-16  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sathees Balya; +Cc: meta-virtualization

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 9:05 PM Sathees Balya <Sathees.Balya@arm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> The xen recipe has a hard dependency on dev86-native package (meta-virtualization/recipes-extended/xen/xen.inc). It does not allow us to build for aarch64 natively for Arm. At the moment, we have a workaround in the bbappend file for xen to remove the dependency.
>

> DEPENDS_remove = "dev86-native"
>

> Can the recipe be made generic so that both x86 and Arm can be built without the need for the above workaround? Thanks.

I am not sure I am following you correctly. But I believe what you are
looking for is to drop "dev86-native" from DEPENDS, where it is
currently listed, and instead list it in something like

DEPENDS_x86 = "dev86-native"

in the xen.inc file. ie. make use of the overrides mechanism to only
require it for x86 arch. Am I close?

MarkA

> Regards,
>
> Sathees
>
> IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.

* Re: Dev86-native dependency
@ 2019-04-16 10:28   ` Sathees Balya
From: Sathees Balya @ 2019-04-16 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. Asselstine; +Cc: meta-virtualization

Hi,

Yes. Your understanding is correct. I would like to drop the "dev86-native" from DEPENDS and add it only for x86 architecture. However I am not familiar with the overrides mechanism.

Regards,
Sathees

@ 2019-04-16 20:51   ` Christopher Clark
From: Christopher Clark @ 2019-04-16 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. Asselstine; +Cc: meta-virtualization

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 6:47 PM M. Asselstine <asselsm@mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 9:05 PM Sathees Balya <Sathees.Balya@arm.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The xen recipe has a hard dependency on dev86-native package (meta-virtualization/recipes-extended/xen/xen.inc). It does not allow us to build for aarch64 natively for Arm. At the moment, we have a workaround in the bbappend file for xen to remove the dependency.
> >
> > DEPENDS_remove = "dev86-native"
> >
> > Can the recipe be made generic so that both x86 and Arm can be built without the need for the above workaround? Thanks.
>
> I am not sure I am following you correctly. But I believe what you are
> looking for is to drop "dev86-native" from DEPENDS, where it is
> currently listed, and instead list it in something like
>
> DEPENDS_x86 = "dev86-native"
>
> in the xen.inc file. ie. make use of the overrides mechanism to only
> require it for x86 arch. Am I close?

Suggest: replace the string 'dev86-native' within xen.inc's DEPENDS
definition with:

${@bb.utils.contains('XEN_TARGET_ARCH', 'x86_64', 'dev86-native', '', d)}

which will toggle the requirement for the dev86-native tools based on
the target arch the hypervisor is being built for.
If that looks OK, I can send a patch on top of the 4.12 version uprev
that I just posted.

Christopher

> MarkA
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Sathees
> >
> > IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.
> > --

* Re: Dev86-native dependency
@ 2019-04-17 12:36     ` M. Asselstine
From: M. Asselstine @ 2019-04-17 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Clark; +Cc: meta-virtualization

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:51 PM Christopher Clark
<christopher.w.clark@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 6:47 PM M. Asselstine <asselsm@mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 9:05 PM Sathees Balya <Sathees.Balya@arm.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The xen recipe has a hard dependency on dev86-native package (meta-virtualization/recipes-extended/xen/xen.inc). It does not allow us to build for aarch64 natively for Arm. At the moment, we have a workaround in the bbappend file for xen to remove the dependency.
> > >
> > > DEPENDS_remove = "dev86-native"
> > >
> > > Can the recipe be made generic so that both x86 and Arm can be built without the need for the above workaround? Thanks.
> >
> > I am not sure I am following you correctly. But I believe what you are
> > looking for is to drop "dev86-native" from DEPENDS, where it is
> > currently listed, and instead list it in something like
> >
> > DEPENDS_x86 = "dev86-native"
> >
> > in the xen.inc file. ie. make use of the overrides mechanism to only
> > require it for x86 arch. Am I close?
>
> Suggest: replace the string 'dev86-native' within xen.inc's DEPENDS
> definition with:
>
> ${@bb.utils.contains('XEN_TARGET_ARCH', 'x86_64', 'dev86-native', '', d)}

Does XEN_TARGET_ARCH ever actually deviate from TARGET_ARCH? I do
prefer using the overrides as it tends to be overall more clear to
read, but the will work too.

Sathees, there isn't much to the overrides, do a 'bitbake -e xen' and
pipe the output to a file. Then search for "OVERRIDES" and you should
find a list of override words, appending one of these words to a
variable such as DEPENDS will only set the assignment if the override
is present. Read a few tutorials and examine some examples and you
should be able to sort it out rather quickly.

MarkA

> which will toggle the requirement for the dev86-native tools based on
> the target arch the hypervisor is being built for.
> If that looks OK, I can send a patch on top of the 4.12 version uprev
> that I just posted.
>
> Christopher
>

> > MarkA
> >

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Sathees
> > >
> > > IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.
> > > --

* Re: Dev86-native dependency
@ 2019-04-17 16:38       ` Sathees Balya
From: Sathees Balya @ 2019-04-17 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. Asselstine, Christopher Clark; +Cc: meta-virtualization

Thanks Mark and Chris.

I applied the patch from Chris and was able to build for arm.

Also, as Mark said bitbake -e xen returned the following for the OVERRIDES with the aarch64.

OVERRIDES="linux:aarch64:pn-xen:fvp:aarch64:poky:class-target:libc-glibc:forcevariable"

Regards,
Sathees

On 17/04/2019, 13:37, "M. Asselstine" <asselsm@mcmaster.ca> wrote:

    On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:51 PM Christopher Clark
    <christopher.w.clark@gmail.com> wrote:

    > On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 6:47 PM M. Asselstine <asselsm@mcmaster.ca> wrote:
    > > On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 9:05 PM Sathees Balya <Sathees.Balya@arm.com> wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > The xen recipe has a hard dependency on dev86-native package (meta-virtualization/recipes-extended/xen/xen.inc). It does not allow us to build for aarch64 natively for Arm. At the moment, we have a workaround in the bbappend file for xen to remove the dependency.
    > > >
    > > > DEPENDS_remove = "dev86-native"
    > > >
    > > > Can the recipe be made generic so that both x86 and Arm can be built without the need for the above workaround? Thanks.
    > >
    > > I am not sure I am following you correctly. But I believe what you are
    > > looking for is to drop "dev86-native" from DEPENDS, where it is
    > > currently listed, and instead list it in something like
    > >
    > > DEPENDS_x86 = "dev86-native"
    > >
    > > in the xen.inc file. ie. make use of the overrides mechanism to only
    > > require it for x86 arch. Am I close?
    >
    > Suggest: replace the string 'dev86-native' within xen.inc's DEPENDS
    > definition with:
    >
    > ${@bb.utils.contains('XEN_TARGET_ARCH', 'x86_64', 'dev86-native', '', d)}

    Does XEN_TARGET_ARCH ever actually deviate from TARGET_ARCH? I do
    prefer using the overrides as it tends to be overall more clear to
    read, but the will work too.

    Sathees, there isn't much to the overrides, do a 'bitbake -e xen' and
    pipe the output to a file. Then search for "OVERRIDES" and you should
    find a list of override words, appending one of these words to a
    variable such as DEPENDS will only set the assignment if the override
    is present. Read a few tutorials and examine some examples and you
    should be able to sort it out rather quickly.

    MarkA

    > which will toggle the requirement for the dev86-native tools based on
    > the target arch the hypervisor is being built for.
    > If that looks OK, I can send a patch on top of the 4.12 version uprev
    > that I just posted.
    >
    > Christopher
    >

    > > MarkA
    > >

    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > Sathees
    > > >
    > > > IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.
    > > > --

* Re: Dev86-native dependency
From: Mark Asselstine @ 2019-04-17 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sathees Balya; +Cc: meta-virtualization

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:38 PM Sathees Balya <Sathees.Balya@arm.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mark and Chris.
>
> I applied the patch from Chris and was able to build for arm.
>
> Also, as Mark said bitbake -e xen returned the following for the OVERRIDES with the aarch64.
>
> OVERRIDES="linux:aarch64:pn-xen:fvp:aarch64:poky:class-target:libc-glibc:forcevariable"

Yes, these are expected. At any rate Chris has a patch out, it is in
Bruce's hands now to accept as is or request any updates.

MarkA

@ 2019-04-18 13:30           ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2019-04-18 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Asselstine; +Cc: meta-virtualization

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 1:33 PM Mark Asselstine <asselsm@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:38 PM Sathees Balya <Sathees.Balya@arm.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Mark and Chris.
> >
> > I applied the patch from Chris and was able to build for arm.
> >
> > Also, as Mark said bitbake -e xen returned the following for the OVERRIDES with the aarch64.
> >
> > OVERRIDES="linux:aarch64:pn-xen:fvp:aarch64:poky:class-target:libc-glibc:forcevariable"
> >

> Yes, these are expected. At any rate Chris has a patch out, it is in
> Bruce's hands now to accept as is or request any updates.

As it turns out TARGET_ARCH and XEN_ARCH do differ a bit. x86-64
versus x86_64. While we could use TARGET_ARCH as an override and be
correct .. I'm worried about clarity in the recipes if I start mixing
the two architecture variables.

I prefer the overrides mechanism as well, but for now, I'll go with
the anonymous python snippet.

Bruce

> [...]
> >     > > > --
> >     > > > _______________________________________________
> >     > > > meta-virtualization mailing list
> >     > > > meta-virtualization@yoctoproject.org
> >     > > --
> >     > > meta-virtualization mailing list
> >     > > meta-virtualization@yoctoproject.org
> >

> > IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.

- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end
- "Use the force Harry" - Gandalf, Star Trek II