* gcc12 testing results
@ 2022-05-06 15:14 richard.purdie
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: richard.purdie @ 2022-05-06 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core; +Cc: Khem Raj

I reran the gcc 12 testing. We still have an issue with linux-yocto
5.10 and edgerouter:

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/111/builds/3046

and meta-virtualization has a couple of issues:

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/128/builds/46

Build is still going.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: gcc12 testing results
@ 2022-05-06 15:41 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-05-06 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie, Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: openembedded-core

yeah meta-virt is seemingly a new addition. Adding Bruce also about
the failures.

On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 8:14 AM <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> I reran the gcc 12 testing. We still have an issue with linux-yocto
> 5.10 and edgerouter:
>
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/111/builds/3046
>
> and meta-virtualization has a couple of issues:
>
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/128/builds/46
>
> Build is still going.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

* Re: gcc12 testing results
@ 2022-05-06 16:08   ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2022-05-06 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Richard Purdie, openembedded-core

On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 11:41 AM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> yeah meta-virt is seemingly a new addition. Adding Bruce also about
> the failures.

The Xen guys will hopefully get around to it shortly, but we are still
going through significant work to get kirkstone stabilized and
released for meta-virt, so there's unlikely to be anything specific
done on it for a bit yet.

I'm sure Xen upstream has already addressed it, but our Xen upgrades
are in place for the release (Which is where the stabilization effort
is happening), so we can peek for incremental fixes as appropriate.

Cheers,

Bruce

--
- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end

* Re: gcc12 testing results
@ 2022-05-07  4:42 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-05-07  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 8:14 AM <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> I reran the gcc 12 testing. We still have an issue with linux-yocto
> 5.10 and edgerouter:
>
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/111/builds/3046

why are we pinning edgerouter-alt to 5.10 ?

> and meta-virtualization has a couple of issues:
>
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/128/builds/46
>
> Build is still going.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

* Re: gcc12 testing results
@ 2022-05-07  4:46     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-05-07  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Richard Purdie, openembedded-core

On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 9:08 AM Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 11:41 AM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > yeah meta-virt is seemingly a new addition. Adding Bruce also about
> > the failures.
>
> The Xen guys will hopefully get around to it shortly, but we are still
> going through significant work to get kirkstone stabilized and
> released for meta-virt, so there's unlikely to be anything specific
> done on it for a bit yet.

since its now added to AB, I am hoping this does not become a holding
block for fundamental changes
like compiler upgrades. perhaps it should be made optional for master
if thats not where CI efforts are.

@ 2022-05-08  7:51   ` richard.purdie
From: richard.purdie @ 2022-05-08  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Fri, 2022-05-06 at 21:42 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 8:14 AM <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > I reran the gcc 12 testing. We still have an issue with linux-yocto
> > 5.10 and edgerouter:
> >
> > https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/111/builds/3046
> >

> why are we pinning edgerouter-alt to 5.10 ?

We have two kernels, 5.10 is tested in the -alt images, 5.15 in the
non-alt ones.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [OE-core] gcc12 testing results
@ 2022-05-09 11:51     ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2022-05-09 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.ashfield; +Cc: Khem Raj, Richard Purdie, openembedded-core

> On 6 May 2022, at 17:08, Bruce Ashfield via lists.openembedded.org <bruce.ashfield=gmail.com@lists.openembedded.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 11:41 AM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> yeah meta-virt is seemingly a new addition. Adding Bruce also about
>> the failures.
>
> The Xen guys will hopefully get around to it shortly, but we are still
> going through significant work to get kirkstone stabilized and
> released for meta-virt, so there's unlikely to be anything specific
> done on it for a bit yet.
>
> I'm sure Xen upstream has already addressed it, but our Xen upgrades
> are in place for the release (Which is where the stabilization effort
> is happening), so we can peek for incremental fixes as appropriate.

At least OpenSuse has a workaround patch:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/openSUSE:Factory/xen/gcc12-fixes.patch?expand=1

I’m pretty sure we can’t expect to see that upstreamed, but its likely good enough for the short term.

Ross

* Re: [OE-core] gcc12 testing results
@ 2022-05-09 13:24 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2022-05-09 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: openembedded-core, Khem Raj

On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 11:14 AM Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> I reran the gcc 12 testing. We still have an issue with linux-yocto
> 5.10 and edgerouter:
>
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/111/builds/3046

I just sent the yocto-bsp bump to 5.10.113, which had the identified
-stable fix for gcc12. I can't say it is 100% complete at runtime for
gcc12, but this moves us along.

> and meta-virtualization has a couple of issues:
>
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/128/builds/46

I pushed the patch that Ross found on opensuse for gcc12 and Xen. I
can only say that it doesn't break gcc11 at the moment, but again, it
moves us along.

Bruce

@ 2022-05-09 15:27   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-05-09 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Richard Purdie, openembedded-core

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 6:24 AM Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 11:14 AM Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > I reran the gcc 12 testing. We still have an issue with linux-yocto
> > 5.10 and edgerouter:
> >
> > https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/111/builds/3046
>
> I just sent the yocto-bsp bump to 5.10.113, which had the identified
> -stable fix for gcc12. I can't say it is 100% complete at runtime for
> gcc12, but this moves us along.
>

> > and meta-virtualization has a couple of issues:
> >
> > https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/128/builds/46
> >

> I pushed the patch that Ross found on opensuse for gcc12 and Xen. I
> can only say that it doesn't break gcc11 at the moment, but again, it
> moves us along.

Thanks I will test it locally as well since I have xen workspace handy atm

@ 2022-05-09 16:34   ` richard.purdie
From: richard.purdie @ 2022-05-09 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield, Ross Burton; +Cc: openembedded-core, Khem Raj

On Mon, 2022-05-09 at 09:24 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 11:14 AM Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > I reran the gcc 12 testing. We still have an issue with linux-yocto
> > 5.10 and edgerouter:
> >
> > https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/111/builds/3046
>
> I just sent the yocto-bsp bump to 5.10.113, which had the identified
> -stable fix for gcc12. I can't say it is 100% complete at runtime for
> gcc12, but this moves us along.
>

> > and meta-virtualization has a couple of issues:
> >
> > https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/128/builds/46
> >

> I pushed the patch that Ross found on opensuse for gcc12 and Xen. I
> can only say that it doesn't break gcc11 at the moment, but again, it
> moves us along.

Thanks, that looks like it fixes xen but xen-tools still has an issue:

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/128/builds/60/steps/13/logs/stdio

@ 2022-05-09 16:52     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-05-09 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: Bruce Ashfield, Ross Burton, openembedded-core

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 9:34 AM <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2022-05-09 at 09:24 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> > On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 11:14 AM Richard Purdie
> > <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I reran the gcc 12 testing. We still have an issue with linux-yocto
> > > 5.10 and edgerouter:
> > >
> > > https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/111/builds/3046
> >
> > I just sent the yocto-bsp bump to 5.10.113, which had the identified
> > -stable fix for gcc12. I can't say it is 100% complete at runtime for
> > gcc12, but this moves us along.
> >

> > > and meta-virtualization has a couple of issues:
> > >
> > > https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/128/builds/46
> > >

> > I pushed the patch that Ross found on opensuse for gcc12 and Xen. I
> > can only say that it doesn't break gcc11 at the moment, but again, it
> > moves us along.
>
> Thanks, that looks like it fixes xen but xen-tools still has an issue:
>
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/128/builds/60/steps/13/logs/stdio

yeah I have sent a patch for xen-tools too