From: Gert Menke <gert@menke.ac>
To: Justin Kilpatrick <jkilpatr@redhat.com>
Cc: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Switch raid mode without rebalance?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 00:32:11 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

On 2016-08-25 20:26, Justin Kilpatrick wrote:

> I'm not sure why you want to avoid a balance,
I didn't check, but I imagined it would slow down my rsync
significantly.

> Once you start this command all the new data should follow the new
> rules.
Ah, now that's interesting.
When the balance is running, df shows 4TB free space; when I cancel the
balance, the free space goes back to a few 100GB.

But if the balancing only happens when the disk would otherwise be idle,
and the mere fact that there is a balance process running will cause the
new data to be written in single mode, I'm all set. I would not even
have to wait for the balance to finish after the rsync is done; I could
just cancel it and unmount the disks. A bit hacky, but in this case
totally acceptable.

Thanks!
Gert