From: Grant Limberg <glimberg@gmail.com>
To: Vitor Antunes <vitor.hda@gmail.com>
Cc: Pete Wyckoff <pw@padd.com>, git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [git-p4] Trouble importing all perforce branches into git repository
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 13:06:15 -0700	[thread overview]

On May 23, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Vitor Antunes wrote:

> Hi Grant,
>
>> The "Branch-foo" that git-p4 is crashing on does have a branchspec in
>> Perforce.  I cannot, however guarantee that branchspecs were
>> correctly created and used for all integrates in the repository.  It
>> was created long before I started working here.
>
> You can create the branch specs now. There is no requirement for them to
> have been created at the time of the integration.
>
> I've sent a patch to this mailing list [1] that adds the possibility of
> creating these branches in a gitconfig file. If you feel brave enough,
> please give it a try. The patch is missing a test case, which I still
> did not have time to review and send
>
>> Is there a way to limit --detect-branches to only certain branches
>> that I can ensure do have branchspecs?
>
> If you have an incremental structure you could limit the cloning to a
> subset of the directories. I am not aware of any other way. Maybe
> someone else in the mailing list can shed some light...? :)
>
> Vitor
>
> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/167998/focus=168000

I think I just figured out the problem.  The branch mapping between //project/MAIN/... and //project/Branch-foo/... was done backwards, thus git-p4 was expecting Branch-foo to be a parent of MAIN when the inverse was actually true.  MAIN's first changelist number was 771.  Branch-foo's first changelist number was 7652.  That's why git-p4 was getting confused.  I fixed the branch mapping in Perforce and the clone with --detect-branches seems to be working fine now.

Grant Limberg
glimberg@gmail.com