On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 04:41:40PM +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote: > On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 04:39:13PM +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote: > > On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 02:29:38PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote: > > > All the concerns I have with swnodes just being a more complex and less > > > maintainable way of doing things still stand, I'm not clear that this is > > > making anything better. > > As I explained before it's not less maintainable than device tree sources. > > The only difference is that we don't have validation tool for in-kernel > > tables. And I don't see why we need that. The data describes the platforms > > and in the very same way may come to the driver from elsewhere. > > How would you validate that? It the same as we trust firmware (boot loader) > > or not. If we don't than how should we do at all? I don't think we should do this at all, all I see from these changes is effort in reviewing them - as far as I can tell they are a solution in search of a problem. DT has some support for validation of the formatting of the data supplied by the board and offers the potential for distributing the board description separately to the kernel. > > Can you point out what the exact aspect is most significant from C language > > perspective that we miss after conversion? Type checking? Something else? You're changing the code from supplying data from the board description via a simple C structure where the compiler offers at least some validation and where we can just supply directly usable values to an abstract data structure that's still encoded in C but has less validation and requires a bunch of code to parse at runtime. Platform data is unsurprisingly a good solution to the problem of supplying platform data. > Also note, after hiding the data structures from that file we open > the door for the much bigger cleanup, and I have patches already precooked > (need a bit of time to test, though). Perhaps those will motivate a change, as things stand I've not seen what you're proposing to do here.