* Yocto Project Status 16 August 2022 (WW33)
@ 2022-08-16 14:53 sjolley.yp.pm
From: sjolley.yp.pm @ 2022-08-16 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, openembedded-core

Current Dev Position: YP 4.1 M3

Next Deadline: 22nd August 2022 YP 4.1 M3 Build

Next Team Meetings:

*	Bug Triage meeting Thursday August 18th 7:30 am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/454367603?pwd=ZGxoa2ZXL3FkM3Y0bFd5aVpHVVZ6dz09>
https://zoom.us/j/454367603?pwd=ZGxoa2ZXL3FkM3Y0bFd5aVpHVVZ6dz09)
*	Weekly Project Engineering Sync Tuesday August  16th at 8 am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712?pwd=cHU1MjhoM2x6ck81bkcrYjRrcmJsUT09>
https://zoom.us/j/990892712?pwd=cHU1MjhoM2x6ck81bkcrYjRrcmJsUT09
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712> )
*	Twitch -  See  <https://www.twitch.tv/theyoctojester>
https://www.twitch.tv/theyoctojester

Key Status/Updates:

*	YP 4.0.3 has been through QA with a clean report and is likely to be
released
*	The CVE count for master rose sharply this week but a number of
fixes were sent by Khem, thanks!
*	Bitbake changes in class handling merged which means classes can now
be enforced to be in "global" or "recipe" scope. This handles a long
standing usability issue of it not being clear which scope classes should be
used in. For example, "testimage" now needs to be included via IMAGE_CLASSES
and not via INHERIT. Global class inclusions in recipes such as "base" and
"package" will now show a parsing error. "base" was particularly pointless
and can simply be removed as it was always inherited.
*	The rust toolchain changes merged and are now being tested by
default on the autobuilder but there is one intermittent issue with shebang
length overflow in the SDK which still needs to be resolved
*	We upgraded glibc to 2.36 and produced a new uninative version which
supports this.
*	There are patches out for review for the debug path improvements.
These rely on a gcc patch and small change of gcc behavior which is being
discussed with upstream.
*	There were cleanups to copyright and license headers in OE-Core and
Bitbake.
*	"largefile" support in oe-core was cleaned up and removed as we
assume this everywhere now, completing something we said would happen in
release notes a few years ago.
*	Help is very much welcome in trying to resolve our autobuilder
intermittent issues. You can see the list of failures we're continuing to
see by searching for the "AB-INT" tag in bugzilla:
<https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=AB-INT>
https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=AB-INT

Ways to contribute:

*	There are bugs identified as possible for newcomers to the project:
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Newcomers>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Newcomers
*	There are bugs that are currently unassigned for YP 4.1. See:
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Bug_Triage#Medium.2B_4.1_Unassigned_Enha
ncements.2FBugs>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Bug_Triage#Medium.2B_4.1_Unassigned_Enhan
cements.2FBugs
*	We'd welcome new maintainers for recipes in OE-Core. Please see the
list at:
<http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/conf/distro/include/mai
ntainers.inc>
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/conf/distro/include/main
tainers.inc and discuss with the existing maintainer, or ask on the OE-Core
mailing list. We will likely move a chunk of these to "Unassigned" soon to
help facilitate this.
*	Help us resolve CVE issues:
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRgNISmH0Ditf0bRtSezeR2XsgK
IiSFJKF6KJUHpnzocNGzvKZbuSDKfmV3n64BFXDRqElBSJnhHtG4/pubchart?oid=1993375488
&format=interactive> CVE metrics

YP 4.1 Milestone Dates:

*	YP 4.1 M3 build date 2022/08/22
*	YP 4.1 M3 Release date 2022/09/02
*	YP 4.1 M4 build date 2022/10/03
*	YP 4.1 M4 Release date 2022/10/28

Upcoming dot releases:

*	YP 4.0.3 Out of QA
*	YP 3.1.19 build date 2022/08/29
*	YP 3.1.19 Release date 2022/09/09
*	YP 4.0.4 build date 2022/09/19
*	YP 4.0.4 Release date 2022/09/30
*	YP 3.1.20 build date 2022/10/10
*	YP 3.1.20 Release date 2022/10/21
*	YP 4.0.5 build date 2022/10/31
*	YP 4.0.5 Release date 2022/11/11

Tracking Metrics:

*	WDD 2447 (last week 2419) (
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)
*	OE-Core/Poky Patch Metrics

*	Total patches found: 1188 (last week 1178)
*	Patches in the Pending State: 322 (28%) [last week 326 (28%)]

*	 <https://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/non-release/patchmetrics/>
https://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/non-release/patchmetrics/

The Yocto Project's technical governance is through its Technical Steering
Committee, more information is available at:

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TSC>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TSC

The Status reports are now stored on the wiki at:
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you'd like to see on this
weekly status update, let us know!]

Stephen K. Jolley

Yocto Project Program Manager

*    Cell:                (208) 244-4460

* Email:              sjolley.yp.pm@gmail.com
<mailto:sjolley.yp.pm@gmail.com>