* Git stops forever while cloning remote repo
@ 2012-03-18 13:47 oldb0t
From: oldb0t @ 2012-03-18 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello all.

I try to clone https://github.com/angband/angband.git locally, and git
stops in the middle, again and again, in different places. For instance,
one time it was 38% of full repo, and another time it was 4% of depth 1
shallow clone. Once it stopped, it doesn't try to continue anymore, just
get stuk forever. My internet connection is fine, all other works
perfect: wget, browsers, mail client. Is there any way to force git to
retry the connection? Something like wget does with -t and -T options. I
use git 1.7.9.1 from Debian testing.

--
Brgds, oldbot

* Re: Git stops forever while cloning remote repo
@ 2012-04-04 21:07 ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2012-04-04 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oldb0t; +Cc: Tomas Carnecky, git

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 05:47:26PM +0400, oldb0t@ro.ru wrote:

> I try to clone https://github.com/angband/angband.git locally, and
> git stops in the middle, again and again, in different places. For
> instance, one time it was 38% of full repo, and another time it was
> 4% of depth 1 shallow clone. Once it stopped, it doesn't try to
> continue anymore, just get stuk forever. My internet connection is
> fine, all other works perfect: wget, browsers, mail client.

I tried to reproduce this here, but it works fine for me. Have you tried
cloning from git://github.com/angband/angband.git instead? If that works
better, that would give us a data point about where the problem is.

> Is there any way to force git to retry the connection? Something like
> wget does with -t and -T options. I use git 1.7.9.1 from Debian
> testing.

Unfortunately, no. Because the packs are generated on the fly, resuming
is tricky. One solution is to create static "bundles" that are
resumable, but not every service (nor most, really) does that[1].
However, you can try Tomas's bundler service, which will generate a
resumable bundle for you:

  https://bundler.caurea.org/

-Peff

[1] I hope to eventually have GitHub do this itself, but right now the
    client side of it is very manual. I have some patches in the works
    to make this happen transparently if the server advertises a bundle
    mirror.

* Re: Git stops forever while cloning remote repo
@ 2012-04-13 18:35   ` oldb0t
From: oldb0t @ 2012-04-13 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: Tomas Carnecky, git, oldb0t

* Jeff King <peff@peff.net> [Wed, 4 Apr 2012 17:07:07 -0400]:
> I tried to reproduce this here, but it works fine for me. Have you
tried> cloning from git://github.com/angband/angband.git instead? If
that works
> better, that would give us a data point about where the problem is.
I retried it a few days later, and all worked fine. Sorry for silence,
just didn't have access to this mailbox at the moment.

> One solution is to create static "bundles" that are
> resumable, but not every service (nor most, really) does that[1].
> However, you can try Tomas's bundler service, which will generate a
> resumable bundle for you:
>   https://bundler.caurea.org/
Thanks a lot. Should be a good workaround for this kind of problem. I'll
try it next time on similar occassion.