On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 00:39, Bill Davidsen wrote: > On 17 Jul 2003, Martin Schlemmer wrote: > > > On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 11:17, Mark Watts wrote: > > > > I'm running devfs on a 2.6.0-test1 box (Mandrake 9.1 with the new kernel) > > > > > > Every time I boot, it complains that I don't have an /etc/modprobe.devfs. > > > If I symlink modules.devfs, I get a wad of errors about 'probeall'. > > > What should a modprobe.devfs look like for a 2.5/6 kernel? > > > > > > > The module-init-tools tarball should include one. > > Agreed, it should. However, the last version I pulled had zero support for > probeall, and more importantly for probe, which is somewhat harder to do > cleanly without having to rewrite the config file for each kernel you > boot. > Well, it implements probeall in another fashion. Also, you might try /sbin/generate-modprobe.conf to convert a modules.conf to modprobe.conf syntax. > I assume someone will need to write a functional config parser which > handles these features before 2.6 is seriously ready for production. > Giving up the ability to find the working module for a device would be a > step back, and is needed to allow booting with changing configurations, > such as docked or not laptops, PCMCIA cards inserted, various hardware > such as printers and scanners attached, etc. Also, read the threads on the list about udev/hotplug - apparently devfsd is going out ... Regards, -- Martin Schlemmer