Raghavan and Riley, Thanks to both of you for responding to my questions. I will start thinking of the best way to add this information to the ELKS website. Of course I will make sure it's not already there, since I seem to have a knack for reading the documentation two or three times before finding what I'm looking for. Be prepared for more questions shortly. What I need right now, I think, is for one of the ELKS SourceForge project administrators to give me developer access to at least the website part of the CVS archive. My SourceForge username is pgoembel. Raghavan and Riley for On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 04:56, Raghavan wrote: > Phil, > > I got the dev86 sources (dev86-0.16.1 ), built it and installed it in my > Home directory as a part of making ELKS 1.1 > > I installed it in ~/ELKS/my_install directory. I had to mention that this > was where I wanted to install in my Makefile ( or one of its related config > file ) while building the dev86. > The, I did a 'make install'. > > After that , I tweaked PATH as follows to make it see my bcc before the > system'c bcc which was there in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.. > > PATH=$HOME/ELKS/my_install/bin:$PATH > > After that I built ELKS , It just worked fine. No Issues at all. > > bye, > rags > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Riley Williams" > To: "Phil Goembel" ; "Linux ELKS" > > Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 11:31 AM > Subject: Re: ELKS Development/FAQ Questions > > > > Hi Phil. > > > > > Ok. I'd like to help with the ELKS website, and with the > > > documentation. But my main interest is to help with > > > development of the ELKS code. > > > > > > I have virtually no experience with the Linux development > > > environment, but I do have experience in cross-development > > > for embedded microprocessor systems (in DOS and Win32 > > > environments) > > > > You need to remember here that the tools used for ELKS are of > > no use for Linux even though they are for the same processor. > > This is because ELKS only uses the x86 processors in what is > > called "Real Mode" since the 8086 that ELKS is primarily aimed > > at has no other mode, whereas Linux uses it exclusively in > > "386 Protected Mode" and, whilst the actual opcodes are mainly > > the same, the environment they are used in, and the assumptions > > the tools need to make, are completely different. > > > > > I am trying to follow the FAQ in setting up the environment > > > so that I can compile the ELKS kernel, but have almost > > > immediately run into a problem. > > > > > > The FAQ is telling me to install the Dev86 package in the > > > root (/) directory. I don't want to do this, and I see no > > > reason that I should have to. > > > > > > I would much rather do all of my cross development in my > > > home directory, with my standard user privileges, not root > > > privileges. I feel this would be much safer, especially > > > since I already have some tools installed that have the same > > > name as the Dev86 tools. I don't know where they came from, > > > and I'd rather not clobber them. > > > > Have you ever installed the bin86 package? If so, that's an old > > version of the dev86 package, and installing the dev86 package > > will just install more recent versions of all of the same tools. > > > > The Linux C compiler is "gcc" and the associated assembler and > > loader are "as" and "ld" respectively. The ELKS compiler is "bcc" > > and its associated assembler and loader are "as86" and "ld86" > > respectively. As a result, it is not possible to interfere with > > one by upgrading the tools associated with the other. > > > > > Is it possible to set up everything in ~/? If so, how > > > is it done? What reasons are there for me NOT to do it that > > > way? If I can't set up everything in ~/, please explain why? > > > > From a purely practical viewpoint, as long as the relevant tools > > are in a directory in the PATH environment variable, and no > > earlier directory in that variable contains tools with the same > > name, it doesn't actually matter where they are. However, it is > > NOT a good idea to put a user directory ahead of the system > > binary directory. > > > > The standard place to put personal binaries is in the directory > > ~/bin with the same directory appended to the END of the standard > > PATH variable with an entry of... > > > > if [ -d ~/bin ]; then > > export PATH=${PATH}:~/bin > > fi > > > > ...in your ~/.bashrc file. This ensures that the said directory > > is only added if it actually existed when you logged on. > > > > > I will gladly update the ELKS FAQ with any answers you can > > > give me. > > > > Hopefully, the above will help you. > > > > Best wishes from Riley. > > --- > > * Nothing as pretty as a smile, nothing as ugly as a frown. > > > > --- > > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > > Version: 6.0.505 / Virus Database: 302 - Release Date: 30-Jul-2003 > > > > - > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-8086" in > > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org > > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html > > - > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-8086" in > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html