On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 10:39, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote: > On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 00:47, Mike Fedyk wrote: > > On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:33:12AM +0100, Willy Tarreau wrote: > > > at a time. I have yet to understand why 'ls|cat' behaves > > > differently, but fortunately it works and it has already saved > > > me some useful time. > > > > cat probably does some buffering for you, and sends the output to xterm in > > larger blocks. > > interestingly running ls on a remote machine in a directory with a > similiar amount of files (local xterm with ssh connection to that > machine) is also as fast as this ls | cat workaround... > Maybe it is because the process generating the output, and the xterm is not on the same box? The X server gets too much time, so the two childs (xterm and ls/whatever) do not get enough time? And that might be why renice +10 `pidof X` helps? Although that do not seem right, as the process level seems the same: xterm->bash->ssh vs xterm->bash->ls Might be because the startup time is ruled out (maybe that is the big issue - startup of child processes?). Could it be that the 'ls | cat' situation now again influence startup times (now it is xterm->bash->ls->cat) if above could be taken as an reason? -- Martin Schlemmer