* RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652: no configurations available
@ 2003-07-18 19:18 Anders Torger
From: Anders Torger @ 2003-07-18 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

I'm trying out the HDSP driver from CVS (checked out today), on a RME
HDSP 9652 PCI card, but I don't manage to get it to run, with my basic
test

# aplay -D hw -f S32_LE -c 26 -r 48000 /dev/zero

Playing raw data '/dev/zero' : Signed 32 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000
Hz, Channels 26
aplay: set_params:787: Broken configuration for this PCM: no
configurations available

The firmware is loaded using hdsploader. Running aplay on another sound
card on the machine works.

Any ideas why this happens? It seems like snd_pcm_hw_params_any returns
no parameters at all. That is strange, since when I put in some debug
logs in the driver it seems like the driver returns a proper
parameters.

/Anders Torger

---------------

# cat /proc/asound/card0/hdsp

RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 (Card #1)
Buffers: capture dea00000 playback de600000
IRQ: 20 Registers bus: 0xec000000 VM: 0xe0033000
Control register: 0x10080de
Control2 register: 0x800
Status register: 0x3c40008
Status2 register: 0xffff8061
FIFO status: 0
MIDI1 Output status: 0xffffff00
MIDI1 Input status: 0xffffff00
MIDI2 Output status: 0xffffff00
MIDI2 Input status: 0xffffff00

Buffer Size (Latency): 8192 samples (2 periods of 32768 bytes)
Hardware pointer (frames): 0
Passthru: no
Line out: on
Firmware version: 1

Sample Clock Source: Internal 48 kHz
Preferred Sync Reference: ADAT1
AutoSync Reference: ADAT1
AutoSync Frequency: 48000
System Clock Mode: Master
System Clock Frequency: 48000

IEC958 input: Internal
IEC958 output: Coaxial only
IEC958 quality: Consumer
IEC958 emphasis: off
IEC958 NonAudio: off
IEC958 sample rate: Error flag set

ADAT1: Sync
ADAT2: No Lock
ADAT3: No Lock
SPDIF: No Lock
Word Clock: No Lock
ADAT Sync: No Lock

* Re: RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652: no configurations available
@ 2003-07-19  7:25 ` Thomas Charbonnel
From: Thomas Charbonnel @ 2003-07-19  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: torger; +Cc: alsa-devel

> I'm trying out the HDSP driver from CVS (checked out today), on a RME
> HDSP 9652 PCI card, but I don't manage to get it to run, with my basic
> test
>
> # aplay -D hw -f S32_LE -c 26 -r 48000 /dev/zero
>
> Playing raw data '/dev/zero' : Signed 32 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000
> Hz, Channels 26
> aplay: set_params:787: Broken configuration for this PCM: no
> configurations available
>
> The firmware is loaded using hdsploader. Running aplay on another sound
> card on the machine works.

Note you don't need to run hdsploader with hdsp9652 cards.

> Any ideas why this happens? It seems like snd_pcm_hw_params_any returns
> no parameters at all. That is strange, since when I put in some debug
> logs in the driver it seems like the driver returns a proper
> parameters.
>
> /Anders Torger

There was a problem with the number of channels in a recent driver version
for hdsp9652 cards. It was fixed in cvs yesterday. Unfortunately
sourceforge's cvs has a 24 hours delay for anonymous checkout. You can
check the number of channels using alsamixer or amixer. If the number
reported is 14 instead of 26, then you need to update your tree or
manually apply the patch I posted on this list 2 days ago.

Thomas

* Re: RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652: no configurations available
@ 2003-07-19 17:06   ` Paul Davis
From: Paul Davis @ 2003-07-19 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Charbonnel; +Cc: torger, alsa-devel

>> I'm trying out the HDSP driver from CVS (checked out today), on a RME
>> HDSP 9652 PCI card, but I don't manage to get it to run, with my basic
>> test
>>
>> # aplay -D hw -f S32_LE -c 26 -r 48000 /dev/zero
>>
>> Playing raw data '/dev/zero' : Signed 32 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000
>> Hz, Channels 26
>> aplay: set_params:787: Broken configuration for this PCM: no
>> configurations available
>>
>> The firmware is loaded using hdsploader. Running aplay on another sound
>> card on the machine works.
>>

>Note you don't need to run hdsploader with hdsp9652 cards.

why don't you just try it with plughw rather than hw. i'm not sure
that what aplay tries to do with the configuration you've attempted to
provide is actually correct.

* Re: RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652: no configurations available
@ 2003-07-19 17:32     ` Anders Torger
From: Anders Torger @ 2003-07-19 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Davis, Thomas Charbonnel; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Saturday 19 July 2003 19.06, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> I'm trying out the HDSP driver from CVS (checked out today), on a
> >> RME HDSP 9652 PCI card, but I don't manage to get it to run, with
> >> my basic test
> >>
> >> # aplay -D hw -f S32_LE -c 26 -r 48000 /dev/zero
> >>
> >> Playing raw data '/dev/zero' : Signed 32 bit Little Endian, Rate
> >> 48000 Hz, Channels 26
> >> aplay: set_params:787: Broken configuration for this PCM: no
> >> configurations available
> >>
> >> The firmware is loaded using hdsploader. Running aplay on another
> >> sound card on the machine works.
> >
> >Note you don't need to run hdsploader with hdsp9652 cards.
>
> why don't you just try it with plughw rather than hw. i'm not sure
> that what aplay tries to do with the configuration you've attempted
> to provide is actually correct.

The problem was that the CVS was not properly updated yet with all
patches (due to the 24 hour delay, which I did not know about :-\ ).
Now it works, oh well, not with that configuration above, one has to
tell aplay to run in non-interleaved mode, which unfortunately only can
be done indirectly, by specifying separate files for each channel, so
my basic test became:

aplay -D hw -I -f S32_LE -c 26 -r 48000 \
/dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero \
/dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero \
/dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero \
/dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero /dev/zero

which worked. I discovered an issue with AutoSync though, which is
delivered in a separate mail.

I'm using hw directly by tradition I guess...

/Anders Torger