On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 20:51, Linus Torvalds wrote: > On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Fruhwirth Clemens wrote: > > > > As a matter of principle I do not add additional restrictions as respect > > for the original author's efforts. But James, David or Linus might do > > that, and by accident choose these additional restrictions to be like > > those of the GPL. I would understand such action as I'd would like to > > see that every kernel code is protected by the GPL. > > That's not actually what we did. I refused the code originally because I > didn't feel that Gladman's license was a proper subset of the GPL. I don't view the FSF as sort of last instance, but just for the protocol: The exact wording of this license is labeled 'GPL-compatible' by the FSF. Imho, this makes it a subset. > I only accepted it after dual-licensing under the GPL had been ok'd by Dr Brian > Gladman himself. Additional coding, no problem, but additional social work, I'd prefer not to be involved with. As there is no legal requirement, such efforts would just make a good appearance. But, hey, if someone volunteers to sort out these problems, my modifications to aes-i586.S can be relicensed under the GPL anytime, no problem. -- Fruhwirth Clemens http://clemens.endorphin.org