On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 09:14:07 +0200, martin f krafft said: > I am using encrypted filesystems (dm-crypt) and the 3.0.0 kernel. > Underneath might be a RAID1 or a fast SSD. On top is usually LVM > with a few LVs holding the system. > > Whenever an I/O-intensive task starts, such as: > the system becomes unusable for several seconds at a time, at least > once or twice per minute. Sorry for the late reply - I've seen similar on my laptop. However, I haven't dug further into it, because the use case that causes the most pain is backing up the laptop to a LUKS partition on an external USB drive - and I usually start that and go to bed so it's not-a-problem. Also, it only wedges up those processes that actually try to do disk I/O - which means that all the terminal windows that are running SSH to various servers don't usually take a hit and things don't get "unusable" in the sense of "totally weged and locked up". But I can at least confirm you're not hallucinating. :)