From: "Ing. Ricardo Brisighelli" <ricardo@estilo.com.ar>
To: Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>
Cc: Julien Grall <julien.grall@arm.com>, xen-devel@lists.xen.org
Subject: Re: [xl restore and migrating problem - hardware compatibility]
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 19:56:19 -0300	[thread overview]

El Vie 23 Dic 2016 17:16:32 Andrew Cooper escribió:
> On 23/12/16 17:00, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> > On 23/12/16 16:32, Ing. Ricardo Brisighelli wrote:
> >> Hi, i'm gentoo user and try with xen 4.6.3 and 4.7.1 in both version
> >> have the
> >> same problem.
> >>
> >> My cpu is AMD A10-7860K
> >
> > This issue has been reported before ("[Xen-devel] "X86_PV_VCPU_MSRS
> > record truncated" during domain restore").
> >
> > I submitted patches to fix it ("Fix issues with zero-length records in
> > migration v2" in July even), which made no progress. As the author of
> > migration v2, and unfortunately of this bug, I stand by v1 of my fix
> > without any further modification.
> >
> > You can find the patches here:
> > https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=people/andrewcoop/xen.git;a=shortlog;h=r
> > efs/heads/tools-fix-zero-length-records
> If you don't want to take patches, you should be able to work around the
> issue by booting Xen with
>
> cpuid_mask_ext_ecx=fbffffff
>
> Specifically, you are looking to hide the DBEXT feature from Xen so it
> doesn't choose to insert them into the migration stream to start with.
> This migration bug only manifests when the hardware is capable, but the
> VM isn't using the feature.
>
> ~Andrew

Hi Andrew, first i try boot xen with cpuid_mask_ext_ecx=fbffffff, restore and
migration works well, then try apply the patchs

tools/python: Adjust migration v2 library to warn about...
tools/libxc: Avoid generating inappropriate zero-length...
tools/libxc: Tolerate zero-length records in migration...

remove cpuid_mask, recompile and install xen-4.7.1, reboot and the problem
persist. I'm missing something?

Regards