On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 17:16 +0200, Jaco Kroon wrote: > Bernd Petrovitsch wrote: > > On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 16:01 +0200, Jaco Kroon wrote: > > [...] > > > >>Also, if I'm going to be sending patches for these it's obviously a patch > >>per affected file, so if I'm going to be sending let's say a hundred of > >>these patches it's still a mail per patch or do I just archive them > >>somehow and attach them or do I place them on a webserver and mail a uri > >>to them? > > > > > > Make one patch per subsystem (unless told otherwise from core LKML > > personnel directly) since > > -) these are trivial patches and > > -) you actually want to mail them to the relevant > > maintainer/mailing-list and Cc: LKML/k-j only. > > > > Bernd > > Ah bugger. That makes it quite a bit more complex :(. It's relatively Yes. But otherwise it is IMHO more "complex" (or cumbersome) for the readers (and their will be more than only 1) getting e.g. 100 mails with trivial fixes for 100 files or flooding some linux-@ ML with 12 Emails fixin such trivial stuff in 12 different files. > easy to single out all the cases (and fix them), but automating the > grouping of files into subsystems and assigning maintainers to those > subsystems isn't as trivial. I thought about proposing a new field to maintainers where the relevant subdirectories/files listed so that one knows whom to bug if I changed a list of given files. But this is quite a work, ongoing since this changes and I don't know how people react. The simpler start is probably to generate one large patch for the Kernel and separate patches for larger subsystems (IDE, SCSI, etc.) out of it since you can just work with an editor. And near the end you can send the last ones in one patch and see what happens (in the best of all worlds, the patch is accept for -mm which usually creates directly enough pressure so that subsystem maintainers take it from there). Or you just send the one large patch and see what happens. Bernd -- Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/ mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55 Embedded Linux Development and Services