* Re: Kernel bug tracker
       [not found] <1630220663.155756289@f748.i.mail.ru>
@ 2021-08-29  8:50 ` Anatoly Pugachev
       [not found] ` <1630659311.419989149@f519.i.mail.ru>
From: Anatoly Pugachev @ 2021-08-29  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adverg Ebashinskii; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 10:04 AM Adverg Ebashinskii <ebashinskii@mail.ru> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I’m a kernel newbie and try to get involved into the Kernel development. So I’d like to start with small bug fixes related to any subsystem (fs is preferred since I familiar with it the most) or something like that.
>
> Is there some kernel bug tracker where anybody could pick a bug to fix and then send patches?

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/

There's as well per linux distribution / vendor bug reporting web
interfaces, like http://bugs.debian.org/ and/or
https://bugs.launchpad.net/
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ where users could first post their bugs

* Re[2]: Kernel bug tracker
@ 2021-08-29  9:39   ` Adverg Ebashinskii
From: Adverg Ebashinskii @ 2021-08-29  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anatoly Pugachev; +Cc: kernelnewbies

Hi Anatoly,

Thank you very much for your response. https://bugzilla.kernel.org looks exactly what I was looking for.

Adverg Ebashinskii

* Re: Re[2]: Kernel bug tracker
@ 2021-08-31  7:09     ` Valdis Klētnieks
From: Valdis Klētnieks @ 2021-08-31  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adverg Ebashinskii; +Cc: Anatoly Pugachev, kernelnewbies

On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 12:39:28 +0300, Adverg Ebashinskii said:

> Hi Anatoly,

> Thank you very much for your response. https://bugzilla.kernel.org looks
> exactly what I was looking for.

Note that the Bugzilla probably *isn't* what you're looking for, if you're
looking for small easy patches to start with.

Hint: Many long-time kernel developers say the bugzilla is where kernel bugs go
to die.

That's because if it's an open bug in the bugzilla, one or more of the
following things are probably true:

* The bug has actually already been fixed but nobody ever bothered closing the
bugzilla entry.

* The bug isn't reproducible on a common configuration, either due to specific
hardware requirements (like a specific card at a specific firmware release), or
the software replicator for the issue isn't known, so only one computer can
reliably trigger the issue. (A few years back, Linus and a few others finally
swatted a bug that triggered on *one* system several times a week.  It turned
out to be a race condition, with a window caused by interrupts being re-enabled
3 instructions too early.  So that one system was doing something that hit this
literally billionth-of-a-second wide window several times a week).

* The bug doesn't have an obvious/easy fix, so it's sitting in the bugzilla
while people try to come up with a fix that isn't too ugly to be allowed to
live. Once you get all the git configuration done and working, it's usually
faster to just create and submit the patch rather than open a bugzilla entry,
so bugzilla entries don't get created for obvious patches.

* The bug report requires more information, and the original reporter of the
bug has evaporated.

Your best source for low-hanging fruit these days is probably drivers/staging,
as pretty much everything under there is *known* to be less-than-optimal. There
should even be a TODO file for each driver in there, saying what stuff is known
to need work.  (Note that it's always possible that things get fixed but the
TODO file doesn't get updated - that's a potential source of cleanup patches as
well)

Good luck.  And remember to back up your system before testing patches. :)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

* Re[6]: Kernel bug tracker
       [not found]   ` <41823.1630683623@turing-police>
@ 2021-09-05 10:07     ` Adverg Ebashinskii
From: Adverg Ebashinskii @ 2021-09-05 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valdis Klētnieks, kernelnewbies

Hi Valdis,

> You might want to read this

Thanks for the info it was very interesting to read. My primary intention of getting into the Linux Kernel Development is that I myself used to be a C/Linux developer for years on the user side and pretty well-versed in the Linux user-space API. But the thing is that I have almost zero knowledge of what actually going on under the hood and how to debug and fix complicated problems related to the Kernel itself.  So this is the reason of my interest precisely to core subsystems.

Adverg Ebashinskii

* Re[2]: Kernel bug tracker
@ 2021-09-06  8:11       ` Adverg Ebashinskii
From: Adverg Ebashinskii @ 2021-09-06  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schmitt, kernelnewbies

> Ok. Here is the simple one. The other comes in a separate mail.

Hello Thomas,

I will try to submit the simplest one first (my very first patch). There are to questions: 1. When submitting the patch should I include you in the copy as the original author? 2. Can I also co-sign the patch by myself?

Adverg Ebashinskii

* Re[2]: Kernel bug tracker
@ 2021-09-05 10:10   ` Adverg Ebashinskii
From: Adverg Ebashinskii @ 2021-09-05 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)