* How do I build an x32 Intel system?
@ 2021-01-03 18:44 Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2021-01-03 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I've been resurrecting an old Pyro project under Gatesgarth. It's an Intel
32-bit system that needs maximum speed, so I decided to try to build the
system and application as 64-bit, for more registers. It pretty much worked
on the first try, and is about 8% faster. Now I'm trying to do it as x32, to
see if that speeds it up even more.

Unable to find any specific instructions, I set the DEFAULTTUNE to
"core2-64-x32" in my BSP conf file. Also, in the old project I had tinkered
around with this a bit, and had found some kernel config settings somewhere,
so I tried using them again:

CONFIG_X86_X32=y
CONFIG_COMPAT=y
CONFIG_COMPAT_FOR_U64_ALIGNMENT=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC_COMPAT=y
CONFIG_KEYS_COMPAT=y
CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_MMAP_RND_COMPAT_BITS=y
CONFIG_ARCH_MMAP_RND_COMPAT_BITS=8
CONFIG_BLOCK_COMPAT=y

Other than the first one, I don't know whether these are correct, or where I
originally got them, or if there's a stock .cfg file that does all this.

The system built fine, the SDK built fine, and my application built fine,
but when I boot, I get a kernel panic, preceded by some message about "kmod
busy with 50 threads for more than 5 seconds now".

Is there some instruction on how to do a proper x32 build? I couldn't find
one Googling. Barring that, do any of those kernel configs look bogus?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: [yocto] How do I build an x32 Intel system?
@ 2021-01-04 11:05 ` morgan.hill
From: morgan.hill @ 2021-01-04 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

> Other than the first one, I don't know whether these are correct, or
> where I
> originally got them, or if there's a stock .cfg file that does all
> this.

I'm not familiar with x32 myself but Debian has an x32port which should
give you a working kernel config to start from.
https://wiki.debian.org/X32Port

--

<http://holoplot.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sg&utm_campaign=Holoplot_Signature+>

 <https://holoplot.com/>*HOLOPLOT GmbH - Headquarters*

Ringbahnstr. 12
(10-14) / A2

12099 Berlin, Germany

+49 (0) 30 40745812

*HOLOPLOT GmbH
- Manufacturing*

Alboinstr. 17-23 / Hall 12

12103 Berlin, Germany

+49
(0) 30 959988740

www.holoplot.com <https://holoplot.com/>

Follow us on
<https://www.facebook.com/OriginalHOLOPLOT/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sg&utm_campaign=Holoplot_Signature+>
LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/holoplot-gmbh?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sg&utm_campaign=Holoplot_Signature+>.

Roman Sick – CEO | HRB183974B, Register Court Charlottenburg, Germany |
EU Tax-Registration No. DE277000701 This e-mail contains confidential
and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or
have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately
and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or
distribution of the information in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

* Re: [yocto] How do I build an x32 Intel system?
@ 2021-01-05 18:54 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2021-01-05 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco, yocto

On Sun, 2021-01-03 at 10:44 -0800, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
[...]

You can see the autobuilder x32 test configuration here:

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/57/builds/2866/steps/10/logs/stdio

the key parts of which are probably:

MACHINE = "qemux86-64"
DEFAULTTUNE = 'x86-64-x32'